Friday, October 06, 2017

Scary October: The Gray Man

Welcome to October!!!

This is my favorite month. If you've been a reader of mine for more than a year, you know what every Friday in October is on my blog...



Scary October means every Friday, I'll bring you a new spooky story. And today's story is about a ghost who haunts this beautiful place:



Like many coastal locations, Pawley's Island, South Carolina has had its fair share of storms. Yet some say they have a warning when a storm is coming that has nothing to do with the Weather Channel. Locals call him "The Gray Man."



According to legend, the story of the Gray Man began in the 1800s. An unidentified young man was on his way to Charleston to see his fiancee when he and his horse became stuck in the marsh and gradually sunk. His fiancee, devastated, wandered the beach for years, pining for her lost love.



One day, while walking the beach, she saw a man dressed in gray. He was staring out at the ocean. As she drew closer to him, she realized he was her lost love.



Instead of greeting her excitedly, though, he issued a warning. He told her the island wasn't safe and she should leave. Before she could respond, he disappeared. The next day, she and her parents left for the mainland and when they returned, a hurricane had destroyed much of the island. (Possibly the 1822 hurricane mentioned on the sign below?)



In the years that have followed, the Gray Man has reportedly made several repeat appearances. He always appears prior to a catastrophic storm and is always seen dressed in gray. One of these appearances was in 1893, when a family saw the Gray Man and understood it was a warning, even though he didn't speak. They evacuated and survived the Sea Islands Hurricane, which killed more than 2,000 people.



The last known sighting of The Gray Man was 1989, when Hurricane Hugo caused mass destruction in the area.



The couple shared their story with Unsolved Mysteries:

“We were talking a walk late in the afternoon which we usually do,” Jim Moore said. “You see so many people walking on the beach at this time of the day. That particular afternoon we only saw the one, and he was coming directly toward us. When I got within speaking distance, I raised my hand to say ‘hi’ or ‘beautiful evening’ or whatever, and he disappeared.” 

Hurricane Hugo decimated Jim and Clara’s neighborhood, but the couple’s home suffered little damage. Clara attributes their good fortune to the Gray Man, and the Lord.

Be sure to come back next week for the next stop on my ghost tour:



19 comments:

  1. I've not heard that one before. Wonder what it really is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie - how extraordinary ... really strange, but so interesting to read about - thank you .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing spooky about that gray man is there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good story. Wonder how he came to be a hurricane predicter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have heard about this story and it could have been from Unsolved Mysteries since I watched that show constantly. I wonder if he came around recently with the hurricanes that were near by?? I wonder what happened to his fiance and what she thought

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a spooky story. And you have a great way of retellin gthem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these kinds of ghost stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad The Gray Man doesn't visit my neighborhood, although I appreciate warnings from the meteorologist.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's sad about how he died, but I'm glad he's around to warn others of potential dangers. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ghost stories are some of my favorites. This one is great. On a visit to Charleston one time we took a tour of the old neighborhoods, and the guide had some great ghost tales to tell. Looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an interesting read, Stephanie. I greatly look forward to your remaining Friday Spooky Stories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are so many evil ghosts in movies. It's good to find a helpful ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Scary October! My sister lives near Hilton Head, SC and I visit her there often. SC is a great place for a ghost story. My biggest question is why he got swallowed by the marsh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! What a story! Gray man freaks me out yet I think he is there for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I love that he tries to warn people to protect them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He is a good ghost!!! Great story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great story and we vacation every year on an island not too far from there.

    ReplyDelete