Friday, June 30, 2017

Best Books of June

Since it's the last Friday of the month, it's time to tell you all about the great books I read this month.




If you like dogs, you'll smile at this month's first book. Kristin O'Donnell Tubb is an amazing Southern writer and one of the kindest, most upbeat people you'll ever meet. Plus, her cover is perfect for the upcoming holiday:



I never thought I'd say this about an author, but Kristin captures the "voice" of a dog's inner thoughts perfectly! With A Dog Like Daisy, I actually feel like I understand my own dog much more after reading. Added to that is a touching relationship between a rescue dog and her owner. This is a story that will make a lasting impression on you, no matter how old you are!

Next up is the perfect beach read if you love a little adventure in your summer. J. Murray is always eager to help out other writers with tips on her blog, so you know she has the craft of writing down.



Twenty-Four Days takes us into the world of military technology, with two countries hurrying to find their missing nuclear submarines. As with To Hunt a Sub, I was amazed at the author's level of knowledge about all things military. I especially loved the way each chapter was part of a countdown to the 24 days referenced in the title. It added urgency to the story that intensified the reading experience. You'll love this one!

I love cozy mysteries. There's something about a female sleuth that takes me back to my childhood Nancy Drew-reading days. The next book by Anna Simpson fits the bill perfectly.



White Light: A Mystery Novel introduces us to Emma, a millennial who has formed a friendship with her quirky but lovable neighbor, Mrs. Perkins. Emma is living in her deceased aunt's house, but her aunt isn't quite gone. Thanks to her aunt's meddling, Emma finds herself in the middle of a murder mystery. You can't help but smile at the interactions between Emma and her neighbor, but the book isn't short on suspense, either. An all around great read!

Next up is a sequel to a book I've already read. That's exciting because it means its author, Kristin Smith, and I have been friends for a while!



Forgotten continues the story of Sienna Preston, a brave teenager who is determined to get to the truth behind a genetic engineering experiment. She has the help of a guy named Zane, who is the right amount "hunky" to make teen girls crush on him. Problem? She still has feelings for Trey. This has everything fans of dystopian YA love: suspense, action, plenty of twists and turns, and a love triangle!

The next book is my Audible read for the month. Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've read one of these psychological thrillers that I actually liked. Apparently, the quote "the next Gone Girl" is now applied to just about every suspense novel with a female protagonist. But this month's book was one I loved.



Every description you see of Behind Closed Doors lets you know this book is intense. They all also emphasize the fact that the book is unsettling. You think you're signing up for a book about domestic abuse, but that doesn't quite fit. You'll see. And you really don't appreciate the author's brilliance until you get to the end and say, "Oh...I see what you've done here!" I highly recommend this one, but if you're sensitive to dog deaths as I am, you'll need to skip over a section toward the beginning. You'll know when you get there!

What's the best book you read in June?

20 comments:

  1. Wow! That Behind Closed Doors sounds pretty intense, and I'm gonna grab it! I also want to try A Dog Like Daisy which sounds very fun. Best books I read were The Devil's Triangle by Catherine Coulter, a suspense novel, and The Meat Cookbook which gives you tips and recipes on every type of meat. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably need that meat cookbook. I feel like i'm always making the same recipes.

      Delete
  2. What a great bunch of books. I just finished reading a sweet murder mystery by Maia Chance called Snow White Red-Handed. It takes place in the mid 1800's and if you like fairy tales this is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie! Thank you so much for reading and sharing Forgotten on here! You are seriously the best!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like some great books. Not exactly a favorite read, but some brave readings this month. I bravely read Caitlyn Jenner's new memoir. And another Brave read I did in June was Crime and Punishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was Caitlyn Jenner's memoir? I've thought about reading it but got no further.

      Delete
  5. Strangely enough, the best book I read this month was James Patterson's 'The Black Book'. Haven't said that in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you did a lot of reading so far, and those titles seem enjoyable. I should get back to reading soon myself. Thanks for sharing and have a nice month ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great collection, Stephanie--and I'm excited to be included. A Dog Like Daisy sounds darling. I love talking dog books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know a couple of those authors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your book reviews, Stephanie. Thanks so much for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent reviews! These sound exciting. I'm more of a cat person than a dog person I guess, as I've been reading "Cat Tales" and "Space Cats from Space."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to pick some of these up--the best thing about summer is sitting on the deck with a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another good roundup. June is busting books all over. I've enjoyed David Sedaris Theft by Finding. He is a hoot. Have a good July 4th weekend

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree regarding BA Paris's book. I couldn't put it down, but I did have to skip over quite a bit of the dog part. And even with that, it bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those sound like great books! I read Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (not sure I'm spelling her name right, that's from memory) and then the sequel, Crooked Kingdom. I liked both better than I expected to ... something about "hyped" books usually puts me off, but they were good.
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, I've not finished my reading list for June. I feel bad reading this review. Haha.

    Anyway, thanks for sharing. The last one caught my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the reviews!!!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete