Friday, August 25, 2017

Best Books of August

Since it's the last Friday of the month, it's time to tell you all about the great books I read this month.




If you like YA romances, you'll love the first book I read this month. Jen Malone can transition from writing as a tween to a teen and back again effortlessly. Her writing voice is incredible.




Imagine being stuck on a sailboat for four months. Now imagine being a teenager stuck on the boat with your mom, who cheated on your dad and caused their recent divorce. That sums up the basic premise of Changes in Latitudes, but there's so much more. We see the world through the point of view of Cassie, who has a lot of issues swirling around in her adolescent brain, but we also have a swoony romantic interest to keep things fun. Jen perfectly captured the complexities of being a child of divorce, while also taking us on yet another great adventure.


I always love reading suspenseful romances, so I jumped at the chance to download Sandra Cox's latest re-release!



Imagine if you had an accessory that could heal. Now imagine if you woke up in the hospital in need of that accessory, only to find it's missing. Boji Stones kicks off with that very scene, setting the stage for the suspense that is to follow. I loved Marnie and Jack and their romance, as well as the mystery as to whether or not Jack could really be trusted. If you enjoy romantic suspense, this is the book for you!

I love anthologies. If you don't like the story you're reading, you simply turn the page and start another. The next book I read this month is a compilation of short stories and poems featuring our very own Tyrean Martinson.



The background of Book Dreams (Brain to Books Anthology 1) is almost as entertaining as the great stories inside! The stories and poems in this book were all featured at the 2017 Brain to Books Cyber Convention and Book Expo. I, of course, had to look that up and I found that it's an online "con" designed to discover new authors. How awesome is that? This compilation includes mostly novellas and short stories. Tyrean's story is Here There Be Dragons, which features two characters battling a mean dragon. It's a short, entertaining read with a great ending!

The next book I read was also an anthology. C.D. Gallant-King's short story is featured in Strangely Funny IV, a book that is intriguingly billed as, "Tales of horror gone wrong. So very wrong." How cool does that sound?!"



At this point in our nation's history, I think we all could use a little comic relief every now and then. Strangely Funny IV delivers on that front, with 19 stories that combine horror and comedy--not a combination you see every day! C.D.'s story was Save or Die, which follows four heroes as they set out on a quest to rescue a princess who has been kidnapped by ogres. It has everything a horror-comedy should--fun heroes, goblins, and snarky humor!

I've always been fascinated by the title of the first book I read this month. Thankfully, Medeia Sharif re-released it with a brand new cover, which gave me a reason to read it and tell you all about it!



Medeia had me at "Madonna mixtape!" Hot Pink in the City is set in the 80s, which will make Gen X-ers like me oh so happy. Asma is a 16-year-old girl who spends the summer in New York City with some relatives. An exciting adventure to find a mixed tape results in all kinds of fun. In addition to getting to go back in time to my favorite decade, this book also gave me the opportunity to learn more about Islamic culture. Definitely recommend!

What are you reading this month?

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, that last book looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen's book sounds really interesting, and Sandra's novel is perfect because I've been in mystery mode for a while now. Thanks for the tips and hope you're having an amazing weekend! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. another great month. I just read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - an oldie but goodie and so pertinent for today. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all sound fascinating. I've read Media's book and loved it, as I've loved all her novels. I just finished reading a middle-grade book, Corners, that's due out next year. A good one. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett. It elevates quirky to an art form. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to get some of Sandra's books!!

    ReplyDelete

  7. good topic thanks for post for sharing on website ..
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, Stephanie. It made my day when I saw this.

    ReplyDelete