Friday, July 28, 2017

Best Books of July

Since it's the last Friday of the month, it's time to tell you all about the great books I read this month.




I couldn't wait for this first book to come out. I knew from the second I saw the cover, I'd love it! Beth McMullen is new to middle grade, but not to fiction. She's the author of the Sally Sin adventure series. Sally Sin is a spy mom, which means Beth is pretty experienced with the spy stuff.



In Mrs. Smith's Spy School for Girls, a 12-year-old girl is shipped off to boarding school against her will. Not one to sit quietly, Abby soon tries to escape...only to learn her boarding school is actually a secret spy school. Unfortunately, she also learns her secret agent mom is missing, which puts Abby on the fast track to becoming a spy herself. This is such a fun, action-packed read with a spunky heroine I know girls will love!

I remember when Rachele Alpine sold the next book I read this month. The second I read the premise, I fell in love! Anyone who knows me knows I'm a sucker for a missing persons story and this one has all the right elements.



A Void the Size of the World introduces us to Rhylee, a girl who has always lived in the shadow of her perfect sister, Abby. The icing on the cake, though, was when Abby ended up with the guy Rhylee always wanted. A stolen moment with Rhylee convinces him to break up with her sister, who disappears the same night. The haunting mystery of what happened to her, combined with Rhylee's ongoing guilt, makes this such a suspenseful read. Most of all, though, Rachele's writing just carries you to the end. You won't be able to put this one down!

You can't help but smile when you look at the cover of the next book I read this month. In fact, covers like Mari Mancusi's latest make me a little sad that I read on my Kindle. I miss the days when you got to look at the cover every time you picked up a book you were reading!




In Princesses, Inc., a 12-year-old girl and her friends form a babysitting group to raise money to go to Comic-Con. If you ever babysat as a youth, you know how unpredictable things can be! What is unique about these babysitters, though, is that they dress up like princesses to entertain the children--in true comic-con style! I love the fact that Hailey is a writer and that the girls learn to raise the money they need by forming a business. A fun book, but also very inspiring to young girls.

I couldn't wait to read this next book. I've read enough Phyllis Bourne books now to know she never disappoints. Her latest book is a sequel to a book I reviewed here not all that long ago. And the cover is just as eye-catching as the first book in the series!



In Between a Honeymoon and a Hot Mess, we meet Hope, a feisty but frustrated woman who recently called off her engagement. While attending her sister's wedding in Vegas, Hope runs into "the one that got away"...and wakes up married to him the next morning. The chemistry between Hope and Julian is irresistible but what sets Phyllis's books apart is her voice. She has a hilarious, engaging voice that makes you fall in love with every word she writes.

Ashelyn Drake is Kelly Hashway's pen name...and both Kelly and Ashelyn are super prolific! This month, she released a contemporary romance that was the very type of book I loved when I was an aspiring romance novelist.



It Was Always You introduces us to Aria and Nate, a couple who have been best friends since high school. Normally once you enter "the friend zone," there's no coming back, but one night changes all that for this couple. I love friends-to-lovers stories, and this one doesn't disappoint. This book actually makes you realize why friends make the best romantic couples. You'll fall in love with these characters and this story!

What is the best book you read this month?


Best. Night. Ever. Release Blitz

Sign up for the BEST. NIGHT. EVER. release blitz, to be held August 14-20. You sign up and I'll send you all the info. via email. Just cut, paste, and post on your chosen date. Thank you for all your help!


Powered by 123ContactForm | Report abuse

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, I want ro read Princesses, Inc now. You always find some tempting books in your monthly book post.
    BTW, I signed up for your blog tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jamie! I'll send the materials closer to time.

      Delete
  2. Blood Strand by Chris Ould. Excellent story set in the Faroe Islands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so honored It Was Always You made your list! Thank you! You just made my week. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. great covers and fun books. I like the spy school one - sounds right up my alley. Good luck to all of these authors. I say that every month, but it's true. Such fresh, fun writing to keep kids (and adults) reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I want to go to a spy school. That just looks so fun! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the books sound like so much fun. I want to read them.Can someone invent a longer day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, is there something else I could do for Best. Night. Ever.? I'll be out of town those dates and limited access to internet anytime beforehand. I'd love to help! Also, gah, I have way too many books to add to my TBR now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love your book reviews, Stepahanie! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks for sharing your thoughts about these books.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete