Tuesday, July 18, 2017

2017 Pitch Wars Mentor Blog Hop!



This post is specifically for the many talented authors entering Pitch Wars this year. I'm so excited to be a Pitch Wars mentor for the first time ever. I'm only accepting middle grade entries. But I can't wait to read them!

About Me:

I spent more than a decade as an aspiring author before finally getting an agent in 2009. My first book, 30 Days of No Gossip, debuted in 2014, followed by my second book, 25 Roses. In August, my third middle grade will debut--a novel I co-wrote with six other authors called Best. Night. Ever. I also write the Piper Morgan chapter book series. In addition to writing children's books, I'm also a freelance branded content writer, so basically I write all the time. I worked in information technology for 13 years before leaving to be a full-time writer.

What I'm Looking For:


  • Fun contemporaries--I'm a sucker for a girly-girl heroine who loves fashion and hanging out with friends.
  • Comedies--I don't have to laugh out loud (although that would be great), but a fun, lighthearted read gets me every time.
  • Spooky tales--I live for spooky stories, especially if they involve ghosts.
  • Magical realism--Contemporary stories with magical elements also draw me in.
  • Suspense/mysteries--When I read adult books, I love Gone Girl-type suspense novels. I'd love to see a more innocent version of this in a middle-grade format.
Here are some of my favorite middle grade books:

     
  

Check out the other Pitch Wars mentors below:


1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

10.

11.

12.
13.

14.

15.

16.

17.

18.

19.

20.

21.

22.

23.

24.
25.

26.

27.

28.

29.

30.

31.

32.

33.

34.

35.

36.

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful job, this! All the best with your mentoring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those novels look really amazing. Kudos on being a mentor! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like they'd be good recommendations for my daughter. She's at a tough age for choosing books that challenge her without being filled with inappropriate content. Nothing worse than having her announce, "mom, this book I'm reading has the f-word on every page!"

    Gah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, you won't find profanities in these! Most are geared for children somewhere between the ages 7-13 (depending on the individual reader's reading level).

      Delete
  4. YAY for you, Stephanie. How exciting and I hope you have loads of fun! I just might enter my YA, but I know you only accept MG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was chosen for MG, but definitely enter. Lots of good YA mentors!

      Delete
  5. your enthusiasm guarantees that you will be an awesome mentor. It made my wheels start spinning and I've never written in that genre. Good luck and I hope some awesome authors are found. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to get your work in front of agents and editors. I'm honored to be a part of it.

      Delete
  6. Is it wrong to be jealous of who you'll mentor? I hope they know how lucky they are. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think anyone would be lucky to have you as a mentor! It's definitely an exciting even in the writing comm. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catherine A7/20/17, 6:47 PM

    Thanks for mentoring! Are you open to LGBT characters in MG submissions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with the other comments here, you'd make a fantastic mentor for anyone within the writing community and I completely agree with your points too, a spooky tale is always a winner! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will make a great mentor. I must get busy on my mg story that's dancing around in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will be an amazing mentor!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete