Wednesday, May 24, 2017

My Super-Fun Spring

I've never been on an actual book tour before. I figure if I ever get to the point where my publisher mandates that I go on a tour in my contract, I'll know I've made it!



But you can still pretend you're a big star and plan your own book tour. Even better if you plan your tour with friends! In March, I announced I was going on tour with two fellow Simon & Schuster authors.



As the flyer above shows, our tour began in March in Kentucky. My fellow Girls Read Tour authors Debbie Dadey and Gail Nall introduced me to an incredible bookstore in Fort Thomas, Kentucky called Blue Marble Books. Our visit even made Publisher's Weekly!



From there, we moved onto Louisville and Elizabethtown, finishing our Kentucky visits at the Lexington Public Library. They threw a mermaid party in celebration of Debbie's Mermaid Tales series!



In May, we brought our tour to Tennessee, starting with Books-A-Million in Knoxville. Tate's School was determined to win the free school visit Debbie promised to the school with the most students. (Spoiler alert: they won!)



On Saturday, we moved on to Parnassus Books and Barnes & Noble. Both places still have signed copies of our books on hand.



On Sunday, we headed to Chattanooga. If you're ever in the Chattanooga area and you're an author, you have to do an event at the Barnes & Noble there. As I've mentioned before on this blog, Kelly Flemings is the best!!! They even have their own drink in their Starbucks called a "Bookaccino." It tastes like birthday cake and fairy tales:



A portion of sales all weekend went to a charity called Homebound: Bringing Reading Back Home, which puts books in the hands of kids who wouldn't otherwise have them. Kelsey Butler, who founded the charity while she was still in college, came out to support our event:


Kelsey Butler, Kelly Flemings, Debbie Dadey, Gail Nall, and me.

After such a busy spring, I'm looking forward to a little rest this summer!

How was your spring?

29 comments:

  1. That was a busy tour. But doing it with two other authors probably made it more fun and successful. Like that money went to Homebound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that fact! Yes, I'm sure you've learned that solo signings can SUCK. I don't do them anymore. I prefer group things where you have someone next to you that you can chat with if there's a lull.

      Delete
  2. That sounded really busy and fun. I'd love to go on book tour one day. Even though it's thinking a little too far aead, I can already see myself possibly doing signings at the Barnes and Noble in Gilroy, CA and at the coffee shop in my town where my book club regularly meets. Or even a bar go to (the owner write her memoir and held a signing there). Again, thinking too far ahead, but anyone in my town who should get published should consider signing books at these venues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started writing, I wrote romance, and I already had figured out where my booksigning would be. For romance, used bookstores are very supportive, so I was going to have it at my local used bookstore. When my first book came out, I went in there and handed her some bookmarks and thanked her for her store being such a great resource as I was starting out!

      Delete
  3. My goodness, looks like you guys had so much fun. My son lives in KY, and I wish I could have come out to visit him and you for the book tour. How cool to know someone who's famous AND funny AND nice. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Famous haha! I think I'll just take a lifetime of getting to write and do what I love over fame. Fame is overrated. It looks like I'll be spending a ton of time in KY. I have applications in to book festivals all over the place, so maybe we will get to meet!

      Delete
  4. Hi Steph - looks like a Mermaid's Tale of fun ... wonderful for you three, great for the kids and lovely that you raised money for Homebound: Bringing Books Back Home - excellent ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great charity and Kelsey is so amazing. To be so young and have already started a charity. Very inspiring.

      Delete
  5. How awesome! And as far as I'm concerned, you're a super star!

    I'll have to keep my eye out for your tour to own day make it to my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far just Tennessee and Kentucky. I have to get some more books in the pipeline before I can do any more!

      Delete
  6. Amazing! Sounds like an exciting, whirlwind trip. Getting out to interact with your readers (especially kids, who I imagine are adorable) must be a wonderful experience.

    Next time your publisher will send you on a cross-country tour, just you wait. ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, fingers crossed! That would be so exciting.

      Delete
  7. Dang, you are famous. Love the pics and so happy you had turn-out and a great reception everywhere. The joy of books!! That is an awesome spring. Mine's been uneventful and that's okay too. Someone had to stay home and keep reading - ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uneventful is definitely a good thing. I have two events in June and a bunch this fall.

      Delete
  8. How lucky I was to have two wonderful fellow Aladdin authors to share the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the lucky one! Thank you so much for suggesting this.

      Delete
  9. Wow! You are famous! You go, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I wish. I was just telling my friends that Facebook occasionally sends me alerts about my author page that say, "your 4 followers haven't heard from you in a while." It's slightly more than that, but not much, and I'd say 90% of them are real-life friends/family and the other 10% are people who liked my page by mistake!

      Delete
  10. What a fabulous tour, Stephanie. I agree -- you are famous!
    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a blast!!! Debbie's actually the celebrity among us. When people heard she co-wrote the Bailey School Kids series, there was serious fan behavior going on.

      Delete
  11. Oh how lovely and what fun! I know you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast! I have to keep selling books because I'm just now getting to the point where I'm comfortable with author events.

      Delete
  12. This is lovely! Congratulations, and hope you sell a gazillion copies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So exciting. You totally are famous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like it was actually fun! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun tour. Great pictures. The only tours I've had are online. Maybe a live one someday. Thanks for taking us along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Book tours are a great way to gain exposure and it looks like you had a lot of fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous tour!It warms my heart to hear of the support of the wonderful charity Homebound. Such a brilliant initiative.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats Stephanie! I am so happy for you!!! My Spring has been so busy! I can't believe it's going to be June soon! But, it's all good! I just want to paint more! LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete