Friday, May 26, 2017

Best Books of May

Warm weather is here, but that doesn't stop true book lovers from finding time to read. Since it's the last Friday of the month, it's time to tell you all about the great books I read this month.




I kicked off May with a fun book by Chrissie Perry that originally released in Australia. It's getting new life in America as a fun new series...and I couldn't wait to get started!




Project Best Friend introduces us to Penelope Kingston, a perfectionist who is on a quest to find a new best friend. She's sure the new girl, Brittany O'Brien ("Bob" for short!), is destined to be her BFF. Unfortunately, Bob's first day doesn't quite go as planned. You'll fall in love with little Penelope right away, plus it has a great message about how life rarely goes as planned.

The next book I read this month was a fun tween book from an accomplished author named Robin Palmer. How can you not love an author whose books have titles like Cindy Ella and Geek Charming?



In Love You Like a Sister, Avery must work with her soon-to-be stepsisters to get ready to be bridesmaids in her father's upcoming wedding. This book hit close to home, as I, too, had a father who remarried and had new children after my parents' divorce. Throughout reading this book, I was nodding along, amazed at how accurately Robin captured the jealousy from seeing a biological parent bonding with his fiancee's kids more than his own daughter. I would recommend this book to anyone dealing with a distant father following a divorce.

Next up is a collaboration between a long list of authors known to many of us. This book includes stories by Jen Chandler, L. Nahay, Renee Cheung, Roland Yeomans, Elizabeth Seckman, Olga Godim, Yvonne Ventresca, Ellen Jacobson, Sean McLachlan, Erika Beebe, Tyrean Martinson, and Sarah Foster.



Heroes come in many forms. As you're reading Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life, you can't help but have that thought. These 12 stories show us heroes in a wide variety of settings, all in the fantasy genre. Best of all, the stories are each so different, you never know where the next tale will take you! If you love fantasy, this is definitely a book you MUST pick up.

Kelly Hashway is one busy author. Her latest book features a main character who is a best-selling author. And it's a suspense--my favorite!




Lies We Tell is an exciting suspense about a best-selling author and her stalker. There's a love interest in the form of a publicist who may or may not be the stalker. You just have to read the book to find out! This is one of those rare mystery-suspenses that actually keeps you guessing all the way to the end.

You can't beat the price of the next book I read this month. It's free! Patricia Josephine (known as Patricia Lynne around here) writes a great book. But she also writes compelling short stories. This collection is her latest:



Learn a Word in 100 Words incorporates the fun of word learning into the flash fiction format. Patricia first introduces you to a word, then writes a 100-word story incorporating that word. Stories are grouped into subjects like writing, paranormal, animals, and science fiction. It's a fun format and, best of all, you can learn one word a day while still getting your reading in!

What's the best book you read in May?

18 comments:

  1. Another great group of books, Stephanie. I read Second Chance Marquess, a historical regency, and Low Pressure by Sandra Brown. And I'm reading Piper Goes To The Circus by Stephanie Faris to my grand son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! And you mentioned my book alongside Sandra Brown, which is HUGE. When I first wanted to be a writer, I was reading Harlequins and came upon a book by Sandra Brown. I then read every romance she ever wrote (there were a few!) and moved into her newer books. She was my idol for a while there. I went to a luncheon they had for her here and got to meet her during that time, which was so exciting--although she's one of those authors who has a line and has to try to pretend she hasn't heard "You have no idea how much your books mean to me" a million times already!

      Delete
  2. Awesome you liked Hero Lost! Those authors worked hard on their stories and came up with some great ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been recommending it to friends who like fantasy. You guys did a great job putting that book together!

      Delete
  3. Lies We Tell sounds pretty interesting, as well as Learn A Word in a 100 Words. Very clever. My fave book this month definitely would have to be Gunmetal Gray, another riveting and action-filled spy story about my new boyfriend, Court Gentry aka The Gray Man. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL your new boyfriend! Book boyfriends are the best. You will definitely like Lies We Tell if you're into suspenses.

      Delete
  4. Again, some great-sounding reads. I now want to read the one with the girl called Bob. I have had for so long now a fascination with the name Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the shout-out Stephanie!!! Happy Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, thanks for including my book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so honored Lies We Tell made your list! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hero Lost is a great read. I read Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. Both writers were new to me but I'll be looking up some of their other stuff now as well as the next book in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for including the anthology! The Lies We Tell sounds great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Learn a Word book sounds very fun and interesting. I love flash fiction. Get in and out of a tale fast. Congrats to all of these authors. As always, you pick out some plum books. And I like reading on the patio. Enjoy your Memorial Weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all look great! Kudos for giving everyone a shout out.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent recaps of those books.
    Runaway and Glass Sword tie for my favorite books read in May.
    Have a great Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the shout-out and the reviews of all the books! I did a lot of reading in early May and I can't think of which fiction book was the "best." However, my favorite non-fiction book was Chapter after Chapter - the IWSG book fo the month.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing these great books, Stephanie. I was especially intrigued by Patricia Josephine's "Learn a Word within 100 Words". I will definitely add this book to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful group of books!!!!

    ReplyDelete