Friday, February 24, 2017

Best Books of February

It's the last Friday of the month, which means it's time to tell you all about the great books I read this month.




The first book I read this month was from one of my favorite Aladdin M!x authors, Rachele Alpine. When you look at this cover, you can't help but get excited about looking beyond it to see the story inside.



You Throw Like a Girl tackles the pressure young girls feel to fit a certain "type." Gabby has a mom who was a former beauty queen and a dad who was a local baseball legend. Gabby gravitated toward her father's pastime, taking up softball. But when her dad leaves the country and she heads to her grandmother's house for the summer, she finds herself pushed into the pageant world while also pretending to be a boy to get onto the only youth softball team in town. I had so much fun reading this book, but I also think it has a great message for young girls who might not be sure where they fit in the whole tomboy vs. girly-girl scheme of things.

Next up is a book by an author I always enjoy hanging out with at various author events. Rae Ann Parker is a fellow Nashvillian and an all-around great person. She's also a mega-talented author. I had the opportunity to get an autographed copy of her first book and I couldn't wait to read it!



The Devil's Backbone takes us down the Natchez Trace, a 440-mile road that runs through Mississippi and Tennessee. The main character, David, is on the trip with his father as part of a learning type of punishment after David takes the blame for something his friend did. During the trip, David makes a friend who happens to be the ghost of a boy who died hundreds of years ago. The history of the area is carefully woven into the story, keeping it interesting and entertaining while also helping the reader learn. A great read for tweens, teens, AND adults!

Next up this month is a bestseller. Like every bestseller I read these days, it was a recommendation from Stephen King. (Tip: if you follow him on Twitter, he drops occasional recommendations in between complaints about our President.)




Behind Her Eyes is one of those "I don't know what's going on but I know something bad is going to happen, so I'm going to read the next 400 pages to find out" kind of psychological thrillers. In other words, every book that's a huge hit these days. Which, as it turns out, is my kind of book because I can't get enough! On the surface, it's a love triangle between a husband, a wife, and his mistress--only his wife and his mistress are BFFs. Everyone's talking about "the ending" of this book but it's really that this book is just super-twisty. And I can't tell you more without killing the fun of that. So I'll just say, if you like Gone Girl-Six Years twisty novels, this is the book for you.

This month I also read Patricia Josephine's latest book, which you probably read all about if you spent any time in the blogosphere!



Abducted Life tells the story of a couple who survived an alien abduction but must now deal with the aftermath. Without giving too much away, that aftermath is something that keeps the two of them apart despite the fact that they seem very much in love. That part of the story is heart-wrenching, but Patricia sets up characters you can't help but cheer on as they battle even more adversity.

My next book is something that is likely to help all my writer friends out there. If you have trouble coming up with blog topics or writing exercises, give Tyrean Martinson's latest book a try.


5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . Write!: 25 Speculative Fiction Writing Prompts is written specifically for speculative fiction writers. There are 25 writing prompts, each with its own unique theme. Some of the prompts are just book titles and some are much longer premises. Honestly, I wanted to read most of the stories, so if any of you want to tackle some of these, be sure to do so on your blog so we can enjoy the results!

What was the best book you read this month?

33 comments:

  1. I know those last two authors! Tyrian has some great books out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to check her others out. I started with the most recent first.

      Delete
    2. Wow! Thank you Stephanie and Alex!!!

      Delete
  2. gone girl twisty...oh yeah, sounds awesome. Quite a variety for February and all of these books have a kick. That reading list just gets longer. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say Gone Girl is the closest...it's British, so it has that Girl on the Train type feel to it, even though it's less Hitchcockian. I think they just call it in general a mind f-word. That pretty much sums it up. Through the whole thing, you're all, "What on EARTH is going on here?"

      Delete
  3. I guess I need to start a "Go Fund Me" account so I can afford to buy every book I want to read. I have two of these books waiting in the wings, but I want all of them! Thank you for adding titles to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you'll have quite a wait for the third one if you're going through the library, since it's new and a bestseller.

      Delete
  4. That book of writing prompts sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i remember the "run like a girl" commercial during the supper bowl last year. what an important message that was - and my favorite commercial of all time. happy reading, you are finding some good books!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the message behind Rachele's book. Girls can be anything they want!!!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely loved Behind Her Eyes! So fun and twisty! Definitely one of my favorites for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Someone else who read it. As I approached the end, I was thinking, "Is this REALLY where she's going with this?"

      Delete
  7. I need Tyrean's book of prompts. My daughter likes to set me up with writing prompts too! Sounds like a month of good reads. I'm in the process of reading Glass of Throne by Sarah J. Maas. I finished a Clean Read, Kistishi Island, and Challenging Miss Valentine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing prompts are a great way to get your brain going every day.

      Delete
  8. That's definitely a diverse mix! Behind Her Eyes sounds like one to check out, and I like a prompt, so Tyrean's book sounds great. She's done a lot to help other authors, with this book and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has! I see her supporting other authors all the time. I like to support supportive authors.

      Delete
    2. Wow! Thank you! I love supporting fellow authors because I hope we can all encourage one another to creatively live life!

      Delete
  9. Awwwwww, thanks for including my book. I totally squeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite book this past month was A Man Called Ove. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I was a faster reader...there are so many good books out there waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the shout-out, Stephanie and thanks for this wonderful group of reviews. I have more to add to my TBR list - and since I'm too sick to do much else, books have become even more important.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I posted my review of Pretty Girls, which I very much enjoyed. Behind her Eyes sounds like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Stephanie - The Devil's Backbone sounds like a really good read and learning experience for that part of the States ... I'd enjoy reading that. Tyrean's ideas will certainly help speculative fiction authors .. congratulations to all authors - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh alien abduction, relationship struggles, heart-wrenching, sounds like my kinda book! Gonna go check that out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Sounds like quite the variety of books here! Thank you for sharing your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of those books look good. Why must the amount of books always be higher than the amount of time we have to read them? :D
    I just read Dreadnought, by April Daniels. It's about a transgender superhero. A lot of hurtful language directed at her, but a really great story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stephen King is someone I would take a reading recommendation from. This was a sweet and wide list Steph, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that you give shout outs to other authors! Behind Her Eyes sounds like my kind of novel. I just finished the Seventh Plague by James Rollins and now absolutely hooked on Woman of God by james Patterson. This book is amazing!

    ReplyDelete