Friday, January 27, 2017

Best Books of January

January is coming to an end, which means it's time to tell you all about the great books I read this month.




The first book I read this year is a Cyrano de Bergerac tale from an author who is new to the Aladdin M!x line, Joanne Levy.




In Crushing It, we meet a 12-year-old girl dealing with new feelings about her male neighbor. Kat and Tyler have been friends for their entire lives, yet over the summer Tyler blossomed into a hottie. Her BFF has also undergone a summertime transformation and, worst of all, her BFF now has a crush on him. The story follows the basic Cyrano de Bergerac theme, but the fact that Kat has had existing relationships with the couple she's helping makes it even more complex. Anyone who has ever felt "less than" can relate to Kat. This book has a very strong message about being yourself and embracing your interests as you try to find friends and romantic partners.

Every little girl loves mermaids. Even as an adult, the idea of an entire world taking place beneath the ocean is fascinating. So it's no surprise that Debbie Dadey's Mermaid Tales series is so popular. This month I read book #16 in the series.





In Flower Girl Dreamsall Pearl wants is to be a flower girl. When she hears her school's cafeteria worker is getting married, she may just get her chance. He's already chosen three of her friends to be flower girls. So she sets to work trying to win a spot--along the way her goals change, though. She finds herself dedicated to helping make it the best wedding ever. You just want to hug little Pearl. She has such a big heart and the lesson of the satisfaction we get from giving instead of receiving is one that we all can learn from.

I don't get to read picture books very often, so when I had the opportunity to purchase an autographed copy of this book from Susan Eaddy, I jumped at it!



Poppy's Best Paper is a beautifully illustrated picture book about a young rabbit who wants to be a writer when she grows up. She gets her chance to try it out when her teacher assigns a paper. When she finally turns in her paper, she's sure it will be a huge hit with the teacher. Instead, her friend, who doesn't even want to be an author, is the one whose paper is read to the class. This book has a very important message about friendship and jealousy--and it's something every single one of us will experience throughout our lives from time to time.

Stories about disappearances are always my favorites, so I couldn't wait to read Kelly Hashway's latest book. But this one was such a pleasant surprise!




Fading into the Shadows is an action-packed story about teens battling falling constellations. The shadows that lure the teens into this world creeped me out in a way few stories have in my life. And once there, the action didn't stop until the end. Plus, there's a love triangle with two guys that will win young readers' hearts. But what really keeps the tension going throughout the book is the race to stop the constellations before the people Ella cares about fade into shadows.

I always look for any excuse to read Sandra Cox's amazing books. Her recent re-release of a romantic suspense gave me a reason to read it and tell all of you about it!



At the center of The Crystal is a crystal ball that allows its owners to see the face of their one true love. For Gabriella, that face is a man she just happened to bump into before entering the store that is selling the ball. She buys the crystal globe in question and adventure ensues. That stranger just happens to want the globe for himself...and a chase ensues. There is plenty of tension between the main characters and enough intrigue to keep you turning the pages until the end!

Next up is a book by one of the most supportive blogger-authors I know. If you haven't read Beverly Stowe McClure's blog, definitely head over and subscribe. This month I read her September 2016 re-release of a 2013 book:




I love ghost stories...and I also love children's adventures in the style of Peter PanA Pirate, a Blockade Runner, and a Cat satisfies both of those loves, with a young boy and his friends discovering a ghost ship near an old lighthouse. Over the course of the story, this world provides a form of escape for the main character, who is going through a tough time at home. Kids will be able to relate well to this touching adventure.

What are you reading now?

35 comments:

  1. Hey, I know those last couple authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky to have so many great author friends! I think I take that part of being a writer for granted.

      Delete
  2. Loved seeing your list. I'm going to add a few to my TBR list. I'm mostly reading adult books right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to do a little of everything. I'm listening to a book on "mindfulness" right now...I'm not learning much, though. I hope at some point he tells me HOW to be mindful, not what mindful is--but an hour in and it's not looking good...

      Delete
  3. Good list especially when I buy presents for kids. Thanks for your monthly reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever need ideas for books the young people in your life will love, I'm your woman!

      Delete
  4. Crushing It feels so nostalgic!! I remember the day when my crush "blossomed" over the summer. It was a horrible experience, but I will never forget it. He had gained a lot of weight! I was devastated.

    Anyway, it's good to see stories coming out that touch on these issues. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--my crushes always pretended I existed the very moment they learned I was interested. So if they'd "blossomed" over the summer, I would have been fine with it.

      Delete
  5. My goal this year is to read all of Ian Rankin's Detective Rebus mysteries. I also hope to get to Scotland to check out the places he mentions in the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good reason to travel!

      Delete
  6. Again, you're tempting me with what you have read! All these sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO many books to read, so little time!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for including CRUSHING IT. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! It was such a fun book.

      Delete
  8. I sort of laid off reading in favor of rewrites. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens sometimes. It's all a juggling act!

      Delete
  9. Wow! I'm honored Fading Into the Shadows made your list! Thank you, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it. Thanks for telling another great story!

      Delete
  10. Last night I read something that turned out to be a book I'd read before. At least, I think I read it before. It sounded awfully familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG that has SO happened to me before. I always feel like I should remember but when you read a lot of books, it's hard to keep up. Goodreads helps...and trying to stick with newer books.

      Delete
  11. Crushing It...LOVE that title!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great title! I always feel like every other author is better at titles than I am.

      Delete
  12. Hi Stephanie - they look fascinating books for their generations ... I'm into rather older books! But great to see bloggers and new authors writing ... the thought of Poppy and her paper sounds a great tale to tell and for youngsters to learn from ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds like some really good reads. i am unable to read due to memory issues from MS. it's hard to go forward in a book, when you can't remember what you've read!! have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh Fading Into the Shadows sounds really interesting, will definitely have to keep an eye out for that one. I love the cover illustration for Mermaid Tales too, very sweet. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, wow! What an interesting list of books. I've read Fading into the Shadows. Loved it. The others are all new to me. And thank you, Stephanie for including my book, A Pirate, a Blockade Runner, and a Cat, and the super review. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. It was a fun story to write.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Stephanie, thank you for the visit. I have enjoyed all your book reviews. I thought I would check out the Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Twelve was right around the time my body started changing and boys were paying attention to me.(not in the way I wanted) Sadly for them, all I cared about was playing baseball and climbing fences. (lol) Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, I always love a mermaid book. That one stands out to me. And I love the concept and cover of Fading into the Shadows. Rock on Kelly. =-)

    P.S. Thank you for your vote for the Spacies, Stephanie. Much appreciated! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stephanie, thank you for more good reads!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've been a busy reader! I love the title of Crushing It. I haven't been reading as much as I used to. I struggled through our book club selection, Shanhai Girls, and am now reading Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher about a kidnapped author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are amazing girl!! Thankyou!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fading into the Shadows sounds interesting! And I've never read about constellations like that before. Very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm always looking for books to read with my Spawns so I'll check out Crushing It. I want to be prepared for when my 10-year old starts having feelings beyond friendship :) Fading into the Shadows sounds really good too. Very unique!

    ReplyDelete