Friday, November 25, 2016

Best Books of November

It's once again time to tell you about the best books I read this month. Here are my favorite November reads!




I couldn't wait to read the first book on my list this month, since it's from one of my favorite authors. Gail Nall writes both young adult and middle grade and, since the book starts out in Nashville, I could totally relate to her latest:



The idea of traveling around the country in an RV sounds amazing to most of us. Not to the lead character in Out of Tune, though. All Maya wants is to audition for a show called Dueling Duets with her secret crush, Jack. But her fixation on getting home almost makes her miss out on all of the great things about her new life, including a cute boy named Remy and a "frenemy" named Shiver. Gail does a fantastic job of conveying the angst a preteen feels when she's stuck with her family while missing out on so much back at home. You can't help but feel as though you've been on the adventure alongside Maya!

My next read this month includes another familiar author for my blog readers. Meradeth Houston is a super-smart writer who weaves her scientific fascinations into her books. This month I read this anthology that includes a story from her:




Ghosts of Fire is an anthology of ten supernatural stories. I read Meradeth's story, The Cost of Greatness, on Election Day, which made its theme of a newly-elected President who wants to get rid of a group of people who were "different" especially eerie. What I liked most about this anthology, though, was the diversity in story types. There's something for everyone here. Word of warning: don't read Demon in the Basement late at night when you're home alone! Very, very scary.

You can't spend much time online without seeing Crystal Collier's book somewhere. This woman is a marketing master! But after reading her latest book, I can say she's an even better novelist.



Timeless is the third in a trilogy of books about Alexia, the Maiden of Time. If you haven't read the first two, I recommend starting with book #1 and going all the way through. You'll want to know the backstory on these characters, even though you can read this one without reading the others. I was drawn into this story of a pregnant, time traveling, kick-butt heroine. Crystal knows how to draw the suspense out to keep you reading all the way to the end. I found myself whipping through the book in record time because I couldn't wait to see what happened next!

Joylene Nowell Butler is a relatively new friend, which means I get to discover her books for the first time! Her latest book is a murder mystery, which just happens to be one of my favorite genres!




In Matowak: Woman Who Cries, a woman suddenly finds her husband dead of a gunshot wound in their kitchen. Because he's the retired Minister of National Defense, the list of suspects is long...and it includes his grieving widow, Sally. She has lost so much, you can't help but feel for her while at the same time wondering if she really did have something to do with it. If you are one of the many people (like me!) who like police procedurals, this is a book you'll LOVE.


Full confession, I'm a little behind on the next read. I'm always looking for that book everyone's talking about this year, but somehow I missed this one. Apparently, I just need to follow Reese Witherspoon's production company because, like Gone Girl, she snatched the film rights up to this book almost as soon as it shot to the top of the New York Times Bestseller list!!!



Ruth Ware is the author of The Woman in Cabin 10, a new release I saw on the shelves while signing books at Barnes & Noble. After reading that book, I noticed in the reviews that everyone said her first book was better, so I had to track it down and read it. In a Dark, Dark Wood sounds like a simple premise. A group of women (and one man) gathers at a cabin in the woods for a "hen party." (British term for "bachelorette party.") How could that be suspenseful? You know from the start somehow our main character ends up injured, in the hospital, unable to remember what happened during this seemingly harmless weekend. If you haven't read this book and you love suspense, read it as soon as possible!

Also, a BIG congratulations to the winners of a free signed copy of Piper Morgan to the Rescue (listed below). I chose three because everyone was SO awesome this time! 


a Rafflecopter giveaway

15 comments:

  1. Aw! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on TIMELESS, Stephanie! You are the best. Now I've got a few more books to add to my list. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great reads! Thanks a million for the shout out for Ghosts of Fire--I'm glad you liked the collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are a busy reader. Sounds like a lot of good Christmas gift ideas. Congrats to all of these authors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all sound like good books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great rundown on books, Stephanie. Yes, Crystal is a marketing guru. We could all learn a lot from her. Thanks for the reviews. That Ghosts of Fire collection sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of good books for November.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see Crystal everywhere, so you must be right about her marketing skills. The best book I finished this month is M Train by Patti Smith.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've often said that if I win the lottery, I would totally get an RV, pack up, and travel the country, so this is a book I would totally read! Thanks for the recap. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post!
    Have a nice week-end!
    Gil Zetbase
    http://gilzetbase.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to the winners of Piper Morgan to the Rescue!

    Sounds like you have been reading a lot of great books. I have three of these on my TBR list and I look forward to getting to them. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been reading well this month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that I regularly see Timeless everywhere! Also, congrats to all the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  13. heartiest congrats for winners .
    i like the spectacular collection of books here

    ReplyDelete