Monday, October 31, 2016

Scary October: Bobby Mackey's Music World

Happy Halloween!!! It's October, which means I'm sharing spooky stories every week this month. Today's haunted place isn't quite as impressive looking as the other places I've featured this month:




If you're a fan of the ghost-hunting show with the melodramatic douchebag...



...you know Bobby Mackey's. It was the location of the first episode of the show and they've been back at least once.



Located in Wilder, Kentucky, Bobby Mackey's is named for some country music "star" you've likely never heard of. Bobby Mackey's claims the land was once the site of a slaughterhouse, later becoming a roadhouse that changed names over the years. Other reportedly haunted places may hide it from customers, but Bobby Mackey's fully embraces it:



The site's dark history began in 1896 when a woman named Pearl Bryan was beheaded more than two miles away. Her head was never found. Some like to say her head was given as a sacrifice to the devil in an abandoned well on the property.



There are also stories of demonic possession, but that's not really my thing. If you're into that sort of thing, Bobby Mackey's is probably a place to visit.



Perhaps the spookiest story is that of a dancer named Johanna and the man she loved. That man was named Robert Randall (which coincidentally is also the first and middle name of Bobby Mackey--weird, huh?). Legend has it that Johanna's father didn't approve of her boyfriend, so he had him killed. Devastated, Johanna committed suicide. Bobby Mackey wrote a song about it:



Occupants and guests report hot spots, phantom footsteps on the stairs, the scent of roses in the basement, and other strange phenomena. Is the place really haunted? That's debatable...but if you're in Wilder, Kentucky, stop by!

That's it for Scary October 2016, but the creepiness isn't over. Every Monday on my blog, it will be Mystery Monday, starting this coming Monday. So keep checking in!

30 comments:

  1. That's probably Bobby Mackey's biggest claim to fame.
    Cool that you will continue with this theme on Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. I'm waiting for someone to correct me and say Bobby Mackey was a HUGE star. I don't know much about country music, especially considering I live in Nashville!

      Delete
  2. Mystery Monday sounds exciting ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a great time writing them!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like Bobby Mackey figured out a great way to promote his business. Looking forward to Mystery Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too. And the Ghost Adventures guy doesn't really believe in research...he just pulls out anything the building owners say.

      Delete
  4. I tried watching that ghost tv show once but turned it off after 5 minutes because it is so...schlocky. I wouldn't mind visiting this place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally like Ghost Hunters better. But I generally just watch the beginning, where they do the tour and talk about what's haunted about the place. I get bored watching people walking around in the dark, saying, "Did you hear that?!"

      Delete
  5. I love that management cannot be held responsible :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're milking their "haunted" status for every dime they can get out of it, I think!

      Delete
  6. Never heard of this one till now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Ghost Adventures guy weren't so obsessed with it, I would have just dismissed it as a dive. The song is really the only thing that makes it interesting, I think. There's something haunting about it!

      Delete
  7. Cool! Never heard of this show. Watching it now. Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have Comcast, most of the seasons of Ghost Adventures are On Demand. I like Ghost Hunters better, but if you like melodrama, Ghost Adventures is your show!

      Delete
  8. I tried watching a few of the ghost hunting shows but there's more build up than ghosts. :)

    re: demonic possession
    I think I'll stay away from Bobby Mackey's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghost Hunters was good in its time...I didn't realize they just showed the final episode until this morning. I can't find anywhere to watch ghost shows online--and I have Hulu and Netflix--so I just don't watch them. If I can't binge-watch a show, it may as well not exist!

      Delete
  9. Happy Halloween! Boo to you

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried watching that show once and couldn't get into it. Luckily for me, there are no plans to head to that part of Kentucky in the near future. (lol) Happy Halloween and Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Ghost Adventures is a little silly. The guy is a bit overly dramatic.

      Delete
  11. Being in Kentucky is scary enough for me lol lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mystery Monday sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got a chuckle out of you calling the Ghost Adventure guys melodramatic. They're dudebros!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not too many ghost stories associated with business establishments. That's kinda too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed reading your post. This was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have a place in LA called the Magic Castle. It's amazing how sophisticated 'spooky' gets when it's mixed with magic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These theme Mondays are great. Uh yeah...I'm skeptical about this one. A pickpocket might make a killing at that place. Ghosts did it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is new to me. Never heard of the man, but it sure is a spooky story. Will look forward to Mystery Monday. Mysteries are such fun.

    ReplyDelete