Monday, September 19, 2016

Introducing Truth or Dare by Barbara Dee

Today is my:



I'm celebrating by participating in a super-exciting blog tour for an author I truly admire. Barbara Dee was writing for Aladdin M!x when I wrote my first book for them--I remember reading her books every day before going to my day job and hoping someday I could have as many books out as she does. And now, we share a publisher! 

I just finished reading her latest book, Truth or Dare, and you'll get my review later this month--but now it's time to tell you about it so you can order it!





Blurb:

A few white lies during a simple game of truth or dare spin out of control and make life very complicated for Lia in this brand-new novel from Barbara Dee.

When Lia returns after a summer with her eccentric aunt, it feels like everything has changed within her group of five friends. Everyone just seems more…dramatic. And after playing a game of Truth or Dare, Lia discovers how those divides are growing wider, and tells a few white lies about what really happened over the summer in order to “keep up.” But is “keeping up” with her BFFs really worth it?

Praise:


"Dee has a keen ear for middle school worries. Her characters talk and act like young adolescents…This is a good book to give to middle schoolers, especially young women on the verge of puberty. They will recognize themselves and their friends and may decide that when it comes to forging friendships, honesty works better than fanciful tales."—School Library Journal

"Although the characters are archetypal, they’re well enough rounded to add excruciating reality and believably illustrate one of the many forms of bullying. Lia’s problems ring fully true, and her eventually learned life lessons are timeless. Entertaining bibliotherapy but also a useful road map to resolution of the age-old problem of severe cattiness."—Kirkus

"Dee captures the anxious intensity of a middle school friend group with crystal clarity and warm sympathy…The book offers plenty of understanding, with some extra wisdom for girls worried about facing the harbingers of adolescence."—Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books

Bio:

Barbara Dee is the author of The (Almost) Perfect Guide to Imperfect Boys, Trauma Queen, This Is Me From Now On, Solving Zoe (Bank Street Best Children’s Books), and Just Another Day in My Insanely Real Life (Publishers Weekly, starred review). Her next book, Star-Crossed, will be published by Aladdin/S&S Spring 2017. Barbara is one of the founders and directors of the Chappaqua Children’s Book Festival. She lives in Westchester County, New York, with her family, two naughty cats, and a rescue hound dog named Ripley. Barbara blogs at FromtheMixedUpFiles.com. Read more about Barbara at BarbaraDeeBooks.com.

Links:

28 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Stephanie!
    And that's why you should always tell the truth. Congratulations, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy~Happy Birthday, Stephanie!!!!

    Congrats to Barbara!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Stephanie. Hope you have an awesome day. Congrats to Barbara on her release. It sounds intriguing.

    Thoughts in Progress
    and MC Book Tours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Stephanie. And congrats to Barbara. Sounds like a great book. Another I now want to read :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Stephanie! And congratulations to Barbara on her next book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very in tune to the middle schooler's psyche. Brings to memory my years in dramaland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! (Mine was yesterday.) This sounds like a great book. I wonder if my girls would give it a try? It's hard to find books that can tempt them away from their infernal screens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday to you, too!!!!! When I was a kid, I loved reading things for fun. It always felt like I was doing something I wasn't supposed to do, since teachers always wanted us to read the classics. I think "fun reading" is important, too. Does the Kindle count as screen time?

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday, Stephanie! And congrats to Barbara on her release!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy BDay!
    Looks like you've realized some dreams, Steph:) Wonderful.
    Looking forward to my visit tomorrow.
    Kudos to Barbara. What a fun premise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have. I'm very lucky. Looking forward to tomorrow, too!

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday. I hope it's filled with cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday!!
    Dee -- this sounds like a great premise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Stephanie and Congrats to Lady Dee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Stephanie! This looks like a great book, and I'm always trying to find good books for my nieces to read because their mother is not/never was a reader. I really, really want those girls to love reading as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! Sounds like an excellent book, and the old question of peer pressure and "keeping up". Good luck to the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to You. Happy Birthday to You. Happy Birthday, Dear Stephanie. Happy Birthday to You.
    The book sounds just right for middle grade girls. Congratulations, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday!

    Congrats to Barbara. I love the cover and description.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like a great book! Sounds like a fun one and the cover is very appealing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete