Tuesday, September 20, 2016

All About Sundials: Guest Post by Sandra Cox

Every time I get to help Sandra Cox with a book release, I get excited. It means I have another fun book of hers to read!!! Her books always fall directly in my area of interest. From the first line of her blurb, I knew I'd love Sundial. Today, Sandra Cox is guest posting here...be sure to scroll down after her post to read all about her latest release! Get it quickly--it's on sale for $.99 from September 19-25!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

All About Sundials
by Sandra Cox

Thanks so much for hosting me today, Stephanie. It’s always fun visiting with you and your followers.

Today, I’d like to chat about sundials.

What exactly is a sundial?

To quote Merriam Webster a sundial is: ‘a device that is used to show the time of day by the position of the sun and that consists of a plate with markings like a clock and an object with a straight edge that casts a shadow onto the plate.’

At one point in our history, even though decorative, sundials were the only way to measure time. These days they make lovely garden accessories. I have one, though unfortunately it’s a replica, not the real deal.

When people think of reading a sundial, they think in terms of hours, what time of day it is. In Sundial this instrument doesn’t measure in hours but infinite time.

When Sarah Miles, the protagonist, finds an ancient sundial in a fortune teller’s garden and reaches out to examine it, her world falls off its axis.

So be warned. The next time you see a sundial in a garden, think twice before touching it.






Blurb:

As Sarah Miles drives down Eighteenth Street a stranger materializes in front of her car. She throws on her brakes, braces for impact and...drives straight through him. For a brief moment, his voice echoes in her head, "Saura." Then he's gone. Later that day, she discovers the SUNDIAL and her incredible journey through time begins.


Excerpt:

“Let go, dammit.”

She let go and fell, landing on her rump in the soggy marsh grass.

He looked down at her as he gathered his reins. “Next time, throw your leg all the way over and don’t kick the poor beast to death. I wish I could say it’s been a pleasure. What I can say, with certainty, is it’s been damn peculiar.” He tightened his knees. The stallion reared, making her scoot backwards on her bottom.

He gave her an elegant half-bow. “Ma’am.”

Heat flashed behind her eyes. “You always were an arrogant bastard.” Nerves pricked her skin. How would I know that?

“And you were always an imp of Satan,” he shot back. The words were no sooner out than a look of bewilderment settled over his handsome features.

For one frozen moment his gaze met hers. Time fell away. Recognition leaped between them.

Her heart jumped and her breath quickened.

He made a violent motion with his hand, rejection stamped on his face. He wheeled his horse and raced away.

Bio:

Sandra writes YA Fantasy, Romance, and Metaphysical Nonfiction. She lives in sunny North Carolina with her husband, a brood of critters and an occasional foster cat. The last animal member of the family, a kitten, came hurtling out of the woods in southern Illinois to land at her feet. He made the trek back to North Carolina and wasted no time settling into the household.

Although shopping is high on the list, her greatest pleasure is sitting on her porch, listening to the birds, sipping coffee or a latte and enjoying a good book. She's a vegetarian and a Muay Thai enthusiast.


Links:

50 comments:

  1. Promise, I won't touch one!
    That they knew back then how many hours were in a day and where to place the sundial is actually rather impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I suppose if that were the only way to tell time today, we'd be really interested in figuring out how to do it!

      Delete
    2. When it came to engineering, the level of sophistication was amazing.

      Delete
  2. Sandra, congrats on your release. There's just something about a sundial that draws your hand to it. Wishing you much success.

    Thoughts in Progress
    and MC Book Tours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They're so fascinating.

      Delete
    2. They sure are, Mason. They've always struck me as mysterious and ageless.

      Delete
  3. Thank you and drat you. I really, really need to stop reading posts which will add to my humungous unread towers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pile seems to always be growing, as well. I try to read five a month, but there are so many more I want to squeeze in!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Thanks for stopping by, EC:) Much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your release, Sandra. Looks like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those books you can't put down, for sure.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jamie and Steph:)

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for hosting me, Stephanie. It's always fun visiting your blog.
    FYI: Belated bday wishes at my place today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure. I enjoyed reading Sundial! Thank you for the bday wishes!

      Delete
  6. Oh Sandra, this sounds fabulous! I need to go get myself a copy. Right now. *scrambles to gather pennies*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big smile. Thanks for gathering pennies for Sundial, Crystal:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. who knew a sundial could prove to be trouble? Interesting premise. I wish her luck on this new book

    ReplyDelete
  9. It measures time? I like that twist.

    We used to have a sundial when I was a kid. My father made it out of an old bird bath and his rock collection. Wish I still had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. That would have been amazing, Diane.

      Delete
  10. Awesome excerpt. Congrats on an interesting storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You keep coming up with great stories, Sandra. You got me at sundials. I'm fascinated by them, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. First...Happy Belated birthday Stephanie! Hope your day was great. I always liked sundials and thought they were cool but I will make sure not to touch one unless i want to go on a neat journey. Congrats on being the guest host

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to Sandra! This sounds like SO much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I happen to have a wrist sundial. I've touched it several times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous cover. I'd like to have a sundial like this. Congratulations, Sandra. The story sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy to see Sandra here. She's on my blog this Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats to Sandra! She is one prolific lady. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great cover! Sounds like an engrossing read, as well. Congratulations! I'm more fascinated with clocks than sundials, but as kids we called our shadows sun-shadows and made wild guesses as to the actual time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diedre:) Sun Shadows....sounds like a story to me;)

      Delete
  19. Love it, really tight writing in the excerpt. Congratulations, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I appreciate hearing that.

      Delete
  20. We were messing around with a sundial this summer. Maybe that's why all of my appliances went off kilter- we messed up our universe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have not thought about the sundial in a long time. Amazing device. Congrats Sandra and I just bought your book based of Stephanie's glowing recommendation. It awaits me on my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, Sheena-kay!

    And thank you, Steph:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A huge congrats, Sandra! Sundial sounds like a wonderful read. :-D

    I love sundials. They've always fascinated me and I'd love to have a beautiful garden with a beautiful sundial one day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just read an excerpt of SUNDIAL on Kelly's blog. Wonderful! I rarely read Romance these days but I am tempted to get this one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sandra, I love the cover of Sundial and it sounds intriguing!!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very intriguing! Love the cover too! Wishing Sandra the best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Touch an object and get transported back in time? Sounds like my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love finding out about new trivia, and now I know not to touch one.(lol) I don't read much YA, but have to admit that the dialogue sounds intriguing and the thought of moving through time fun. Great meeting you! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete