Wednesday, July 20, 2016

My Favorite Children's Books

There aren't very many children's writers who read my blog, but we all were children at one point. We pass the books we loved as kids along to our children and grandchildren. Today, blogger Lori L. McLaughlin is here to tell us about her favorite children's books. She's also announcing the release of her own latest book, so be sure to scroll down to learn more about it.

My Favorite Children's Books
by Lori L MacLaughlin

I've loved books for as long as I can remember. I have my parents to thank for that. When I was little, they would read to me all the time. I loved hearing the words and looking at the pictures, seeing the stories in my imagination. And when I'd say, "Read it again! Read it again!", they would. Multiple times. So many times, in fact, that it wouldn't surprise me if they recited the stories in their sleep.

Even after all these years, I still love those old stories. These are some of the ones I remember the most:

1. The Large and Growly Bear by Gertrude Crampton

"Once there was a large and growly bear. One spring morning he woke up with nothing to do."

2. The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey

"Five little puppies dug a hole under the fence and went for a walk in the wide, wide world."



3. The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper

"I think I can — I think I can..."

4. Curious George by Margaret and H. A. Rey

"This is George. He lived in Africa. He was a good little monkey and always very curious."

5. Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown

"If you run away, I will run after you. For you are my little bunny."



6. Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton

"Mike Mulligan had a steam shovel, a beautiful red steam shovel. Her name was Mary Anne."

7. The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf

"Once upon a time in Spain there was a little bull and his name was Ferdinand."



8. Farm ABC by Patricia Lynn

"A is for acres, our farm has many. Meet Dad, Mom, and Johnny - and my name is Penny."

9. Caps For Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business by Esphyr Slobodkina

"Once there was a peddler who sold caps. But he was not like an ordinary peddler carrying his

wares on his back. He carried them on top of his head."

10. A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson

"Where shall we adventure, to-day that we're afloat,
Wary of the weather and steering by a star?
Shall it be to Africa, a-steering of the boat,
To Providence, or Babylon, or off to Malabar?"

What children's books did you grow up with?




Blurb:

Tara Triannon is no stranger to trouble. She's yet to find an enemy her skill with a sword couldn't dispatch. But how can she fight one that attacks through her dreams?

With her nightmares worsening, Tara seeks answers but finds only more questions. Then her sister, Laraina, reveals a stunning secret that forces Tara to go to the one place Tara's sworn never to return to. Her troubles multiply when Jovan Trevillion, the secretive soldier of fortune who stole her heart, is mentally tortured by an ancient Being intent on bending him to its will. And worst of all, the Butcher — the terrifying wolf-like assassin she thought she'd killed — survived their duel and is hunting her again.

Hounded by enemies, Tara sets out on a harrowing quest to discover the true nature of who she is, to come to grips with the new volatility of her magic, and to defeat the evil locked in a centuries-old trap that will stop at nothing to control her magic and escape through her nightmares.


Buy Links:


Bio:

Lori L. MacLaughlin traces her love of fantasy adventure to Tolkien and Terry Brooks, finding The Lord of the Rings and The Sword of Shannara particularly inspirational. She's been writing stories in her head since she was old enough to run wild through the forests on the farm on which she grew up.

She has been many things over the years – tree climber, dairy farmer, clothing salesperson, kids' shoe fitter, retail manager, medical transcriptionist, journalist, private pilot, traveler, wife and mother, Red Sox and New York Giants fan, muscle car enthusiast and NASCAR fan, and a lover of all things Scottish and Irish.

When she's not writing (or working), she can be found curled up somewhere dreaming up more story ideas, taking long walks in the countryside, or spending time with her kids. She lives with her family in northern Vermont.

Links:

I'm guest posting on different blogs throughout the month of August to celebrate the release of my new series. Let me know if you want to help out!


Powered by 123ContactForm | Report abuse

54 comments:

  1. Pokey Little Puppy was a staple. Currently describes most of the drivers in front of me.
    The Mouse and the Motorcyle was my childhood favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that exact version of The Pokey Little Puppy at World Market. They have a stand with Little Golden Books on it. I remember reading so many of those books when I was a kid.

      Delete
    2. That's funny, Alex. I have that problem with a lot of drivers, too.

      Delete
  2. The Mouse and the Big Red Ripe Strawberry was a favorite of my kids. And now with grand babies, I'm having fun reading these books again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've read that one!

      Delete
    2. I haven't read that one, either. I'll have to look it up.

      Delete
  3. These books bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back through them always makes me smile.

      Delete
  4. When I was little and we went shopping, Little Golden Books were always what I wanted. Congrats to Lori on her new release.

    Thoughts in Progress
    and MC Book Tours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Little Golden Books. I read many of them to my kids.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. The Curious Little Kitten is the first one that comes to mind. One I LOVE reading to the kids is Heaven is Just Having You, and I absolutely adore the Captain Flinn and the Dinosaur Pirates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Curious Little Kitten is another good one! I don't know the others but will be looking them up.

      Delete
  6. her list made me smile. Such good memories. And any and all Dr. Seuss were glorious. Congrats to Lori on her new book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, definitely — Green Eggs and Ham, Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish...
      Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I can't believe you made me think of this book! I haven't thought about it for decades. (Telling my age here.) When I was little we couldn't afford luxuries so we had very few books. The ones we had were read to pieces. Somewhere, my dad found a used book for a penny and brought it home to me. "My Little Golden Book About Travel" It was the beginning of talk about racing the Russians to the moon and, looking up at the sky at night, I was fascinated by the idea. I loved this book and it made me want to travel everywhere--even to the moon! I soon discovered I could go anywhere (in my imagination) with a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful memory! And now I have another great book to look up. :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Lori, on your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. English was not my first language so I missed out on a lot of early reader books.

    Congrats on your new release, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those books are still out there if you ever want to look them up. They're the type you never outgrow! :)

      Delete
  10. Those are some great books. I liked the Pokey Little Puppy. I love all the Dr. Suess books too.
    I've actually considered writing a childrens book. Will I do it? Perhaps, I've even had an idea of what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Seuss books are classics. Good luck with your children's book idea! I hope you write it!

      Delete
  11. Thanks very much, Stephanie, for hosting me!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looooooooove Ferdinand!! Still one of my favourite books.

    I loved all the Beatrix Potter books. I think I still have my stuffed Peter Rabbit somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ferdinand is such a great story! Peter Rabbit's tales were fun to read, too.

      Delete
  13. When my granddaughter was a little one we would read her favorite children's book each night before bed. I so loved buying her tons of these books. She does the same with her daughter now. It's delightful to watch.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely family tradition! I read to my kids when they were little, and I'm hoping they'll do the same when they have children. It's one of the best things you can do for your kids.
      Thank you, and I hope you're enjoying your day, as well!

      Delete
  14. Of the ones I can remember: Curious George, Where the Wild Things Are, and Put Me in the Zoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put Me in the Zoo is another one I haven't heard of and will be looking up.

      Delete
  15. I would love to sign up for your blog tour but there are no Fridays listed. I could still feature you though on my own if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the Fridays are taken now, looks like. Only a few days left. I'll email you and ask if you'd like to do a date in September.

      Delete
  16. It's wonderful to have those early memories. Unfortunately, I don't recall reading books when I was young. I can't remember books in our home. I'm making up for it now though. I read to my boys when they were little. And now I read for me all the time.
    Congratulations on your book, Lori. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad about not having books when you were younger, but it's great how much you're reading and writing now. And good for you for reading to your kids! It's wonderful to get them interested in books at an early age.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  17. Pokey Little Puppy OG!!!!! I loved that book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw lots of favs on this list! So grateful I had a mom that read to me growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's one of the many things for which I'm grateful to my parents.

      Delete
  19. I recognize a few of these from my childhood, but even more from things my kids enjoy. I'm so glad my parents saved our books. My kids love these "oldies" the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents still have a lot of the old books. My kids dig through and read them sometimes when we visit.

      Delete
  20. A few of those look familiar, and bring back pleasant memories of how I got into reading as a child. Thanks for the smiles! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  21. Interesting to get to know a little more about you, Lori. :-) I used to love the story, Ferdinand and the Bull as a child, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvette. Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  22. I loved Ferdinand and Caps for Sale. I'd like to read the rest.

    I think I signed up for your tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're wonderful stories. I hope you get a chance to read them.

      Delete
  23. Enjoyed them all at one time or another. Family bedtime favorite remains Goodnight Moon. Such a time of awakening when books were introduced! I liked The White Stone and Island of the Blue Dolphins too.
    Very best wishes on your new book. It's nice to meet another NASCAR fan ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Goodnight Moon to my kids many times, too, and they also loved Grandfather Twilight. Island of the Blue Dolphins I've read, but not The White Stone. Yay, another one to add to my list!
      Thank you! It's nice to meet you, as well. My son got me interested in NASCAR. He wants to be a race car driver.

      Delete
  24. This sounds like a great read, Lori. Wishing you much success.
    My kids loved The Poky Puppy:)

    Waving to Steph:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. My favorite was Saggy Baggy Elephant. I even bought it for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, yes, I have that one, too.

      Delete
    2. Ha, ha, yes, I have that one, too.

      Delete
  26. I def had the Poky Little Puppy one!! :) my brother and I had a favorite called A Day On The Farm. Not sure if it's well known (it is a little golden book) but it was so cute. I also loved a book called A Day at The Beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Day on the Farm — I would have loved that one, growing up on a farm as I did. A Day at the Beach sounds great, too.

      Delete