Friday, July 29, 2016

Best Books of July

It's once again time to tell you about the best books I read this month. Here are my favorite July reads!




Keeping with the "fun summer read" theme is this next book from the very talented Alison CherryLook Both Ways is a young adult book about the exciting world of summer theater.



I was in plays in high school and it brought some of my best memories. Look Both Ways gives us the chance to spend the summer with Brooklyn, a New York high schooler who spends her life surrounded by theater professionals. Brooklyn isn't quite the actress or singer she feels she's expected to be, so when she lands at Allerdale, she already worries she'll be seen as a faker. But thanks to an amazing roommate, Brooklyn finds summer is taking her in an entirely different direction. I loved this book. The depth of the characters in Look Both Ways draws you into the story and keeps you turning the page, all the way to the end.

I miss chick lit. It was around such a short time but it was so fun. Fortunately, the young adult genre sometimes gives us a younger version of it, as is the case with the next book I read this month:



In Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies, a high schooler gets a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to move to New York City and work at a cool teen magazine. The author's voice is chick lit at its best. You can't stop reading, it's so compelling. Plus, the character takes you along for the adventure. There's a great reason this book is getting phenomenal reviews. If you're looking for a fun summer read, this is it!

Medeia Sharif is a favorite around here. If you read her blog, you know she's one of the most prolific authors around. Her latest release touches on a lot of the race issues that are on everyone's mind these days.



A Love That Disturbs is an intense read. Throughout, I was amazed at Medeia's range. She can write lighthearted stories, adventures, and gut-wrenching dramas like this one. The story alternates between Maysa's and Haydee's points of view. Maysa is a Pakistani-American whose old-fashioned parents want her to marry someone from her background. Haydee is a former prostitute trying to turn her life around. The two fall in love--and must deal with the consequences of that love. This is an important book that breaks down stereotypes, while also being a page-turner.

The next book I read was by a familiar name, although you might not recognize it on the cover. Patricia Lynne writes new adult under the name Patricia Josephine.



Michael is hard to describe. On the surface, it's about an archangel whose job it is to search for fallen angels. However, there is a same-sex attraction between Michael and a fallen angel named Lake that takes the story in a different direction than you'd expect. Patricia wove in so many twists and turns with her suspense, you won't be able to put it down once you start. This is the first in a series and I can't wait to read the rest!

Once I finished Michael, I dove into another blogger's book. Libby Heily writes YA, science fiction, and contemporary fiction. Her book, Welcome to Sortilege Falls, grabs your attention with its super-interesting premise.




Strange things are happening in Sortilege Falls. A 16-year-old girl named Grape has just moved to the town with her family and she knows right away that things aren't normal. A small group of models seems to rule the high school in a weird way. When those models start dying, one by one, Grape must find a way to save them. The mystery of this one will keep you reading all the way to the end.

Powered by 123ContactForm | Report abuse

31 comments:

  1. Patricia Lynn just celebrated the one year anniversary of her series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all sounds like interesting stories with some unique twists. Great covers too.

    Thoughts in Progress
    and MC Book Tours

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Look Both Ways" and "Little Black Dress" both look good. I'm waiting for a new book I just ordered from Amazon, called "Monterey Bay" by Lindsay Hatton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always just have them sent to my Kindle, so no waiting for books anymore!

      Delete
  4. Love them chick lit books! Another book I read last year which surprised the heck out of me was a male/male romance. It was recommended by a high school friend on Facebook. I didn't expect a whole lot from it, but man...it was a compelling read. Even if the thought of a particular lifestyle isn't your cup of tea or something you approve of, you are doing yourself a disservice by not considering reading all types of stories. The wonderful richness of these stories, the characters, and the deepness with which they touch your soul is very satisfying in a strange way.

    Every now and then, I'll buy something completely off my radar and find myself pleasantly surprised. Thanks for sharing these summer reads, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making so many great author friends has done that for me--let me read books in genres and with subject matter I normally wouldn't have chose. I would have missed out on SO many great books otherwise!

      Delete
  5. These all sound great. I keep finding more books I want to read. Now I just need to find the time to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recommendations. These all sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those looks like some great reads! I love that some are light and some are intense - a goo mix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another wonderfully eclectic selection. Of this month's choices it is Welcome to Sortilege Falls that really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!! Thank you for mentioning these awesome books, Stephanie!!!! I'm adding them to my TBR list!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great roundup. The summer theater one sounded very fun

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like some fun reads indeed.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun collection of books! I really want to check out Little Black Dresses now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound good! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always share such an interesting mix. These all seem like truly interesting reads! Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of the books sound good. Well done.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  16. A list of interesting sounding novels. Medeia's is the only one I've read, and it is awesome. Haven't heard of the others, so thanks for telling us about them. Always looking for new reading. The reason my closet and iPad overflow with books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A Love That Disturbs sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah and thanks for the awesome review of mine. =)

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the great books to add to my TBR list! Very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great collection, Stephanie. I love seeing Medeia's book on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved chick lit. Maybe we can bring it back?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have some of these on my TBR list already. I look forward to checking out the rest! :) Loved hearing your thoughts. Excited to see Libby and Medeia here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that's an impressive list of books read in a single month, Stephanie. I must catch up! Good job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These books all sound awesome! I'll have to add some to my list. I'm currently reading Hush Little Baby by Suzanne Redfearn and it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stampler's book looks interesting and I have Libby's. Thank you so much for including mine.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's quite an assortment of terrific-sounding reads!

    ReplyDelete