Monday, May 02, 2016

Best Books of April

I'm a little late because of the A to Z Challenge, but it's once again time to tell you about the best books I read this month. Here are the month's best!



There's something exciting about seeing an author's first book come out. The BFF Bucket List is the first book from the uber-talented Dee Romito and it hits shelves tomorrow. YAY! We'll be seeing lots more of her work in the future.



One of the most tragic things that can happen in middle school is the loss of a friendship. Yet that age seems to come with so much growth, it's easy for best friends to drift apart. In The BFF Bucket List, ultra-organized Ella desperately tries to save her friendship with her outgoing best friend Skyler. Skyler is making new friends, though, and the more Ella tries to get her to stick to this "bucket list," the stickier things seem to get. The story is heartbreaking in parts as the girls try to hold onto what they once had, but it also has a positive outcome.

You all know how much I love mysteries...and what can be more fun than a mystery that pairs a tween with adorable elderly ladies? Alison Cherry is a talented young adult and middle grade author and when I saw this cover, I couldn't resist:



In The Classy Crooks Club, a 12-year-old girl named AJ has to spend the summer living with her super-uptight grandmother, who is desperate to turn her into a well-mannered young lady. Soon into her stay, she starts to notice something is up with her grandmother's so-called "bridge club." They're actually a team of crooks, planning heists to liberate birds and other species from captivity. I have to say there's something adorable about a bunch of criminal grannies, dressed in black, trying to sneak into houses. In the end, AJ is the one who is the adult of the group. This book has humor, adventure, and a great message...you won't be able to put it down!

The next book is one that will jump out at every tween who sees it on the shelves. Hillary Homzie has captured the social media-obsessed tween audience with Queen of Likes.



Karma has a problem that will sound all too familiar to many readers. She spends far too much time on her phone. Her happiness is dictated by how many likes her social media photos get. When her parents take her phone away as punishment, she has to find new ways to validate herself. I loved this book. It has an important message disguised in an entertaining story, which is the best thing a middle grade book can do!

I read Kristin Rae's first book, Wish You Were Italian, and had so much fun going on an Italian adventure with her character. When I saw she had a new book, What You Always Wanted, I couldn't wait to read it.



My knowledge of Gene Kelly is mostly limited to his appearance alongside Olivia Newton-John in Xanadu. But the main character in What You Always Wanted knows all of his movies by heart. In her world, no guy can live up to her perception of Gene Kelly. Then she meets Jesse, a hunky baseball player who has hidden talents. Kristin nails the sexual tension between Maddie and Jesse and creates two characters you can't help but fall in love with.

My final read of the month is this steamy romance from Christine Rains.




In Big Yearning, a couple finds romance while on a team searching for Big Foot. When they become trapped in a cave, they find themselves in a race to get out before it's too late. This sexy, quick read will have you riveted from start to finish.

What are you reading?

47 comments:

  1. These all sounds like fun reads. I'm currently listening to The Second Life of Nick Mason by Steve Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great! Someone told me about a podcast that can help me with my freelance career...so I put my Audible account on hold. I have hours of podcasts to catch up on this month!

      Delete
  2. I'm currently reading The Lies of Loch Lamora, which is pretty fun so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. These all sound interesting. I just started the third Maze runner book yesterday and am almost done now. The chapters in these books are really short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read that series. It always sounded interesting, though.

      Delete
  4. I'm reading Lost Among the Living by Simone St James. I'm also dipping in and out of a book of poetry and an anthology of monster-themed stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're one of those brilliant people who can read more than one book at a time, aren't you? I wish I could do that!

      Delete
    2. I'm reading an Emilie Richards romance series.

      Delete
  5. Nice blurbs and covers. Looks like great choices for YA. I am reading book 8 of Outlander series. I mix a lot in between. Reviews shall be on my blog soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read fairly young, due to what I write! The last one isn't suitable for young people, though!

      Delete
  6. Gene Kelly was in Xanadu? I only really know him from Singing in the Rain, I guess. I really want to read that book now.

    I'm currently reading Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Boy series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes--you have to watch this...Gene Kelly and Olivia Newton-John performing together. Classic! Xanadu kinda sucked, but this is worth seeing for sure:

      Whenever You're Away from Me--Gene Kelly and Olivia Newton-John

      Delete
  7. I'm reading Obsession by Nora Roberts. Almost finished and it's been a good read as always with Nora Roberts.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to read a lot of Nora books when I wrote romance. That is one prolific author.

      Delete
  8. I'm reading WHAT YOU ALWAYS WANTED now!! loving it so far, super cute, and the cover is so adorable. Also Queen of Likes sounds absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Kristin also does a great job on bookmarks...if you're looking for someone to design yours. She also did the banner at the top of this page. She's multi-talented.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a good list. I have several reading lists for the month. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to kick off a month! I'm already two books into my May reads.

      Delete
  10. You had time to read?! Amazing. They all sound like great reads - especially Classy Crooks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read when I'm on the treadmill on my Kindle!

      Delete
  11. Thos covers are just adorable. They make me happy just to look at them.

    @Kathleen01930
    Kathleen Valentine's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am drawn to books with positive covers, aren't I?!

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much for including mine. And now I have a couple new ones to add to my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all great! Thanks for writing such an entertaining book.

      Delete
  13. Those look like great reads. Will have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Queen of Likes sounds like a book of its time! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your books definitely look interesting! I am in the middle of a creepy good fantasy called Smoke!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wish you told a little bit more about the adult read Steph. What a month April was to you reading wise, dear. I love the idea of sweet crooked grannies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to have a good romance that holds your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooh.
    I have been rereading some Terry Pratchett. Reading Neil Gaiman, reading about the woman who brought us Verve Cliquot champagne, and am currently reading a poet's biography.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for calling by and commenting today on my little blog it was very kind. I have to admit I write loads but read almost nothing which seems a bit odd. . .

    Gene Kelly was a very cool actor/dancer indeed and one of Hollywood's best.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love The Classy Crooks Club title, and the way they did the colors. I'm reading Me Before You, got the nicest paperback movie-tie in edition at the grocery store, of all places. I love both of the mc's in the upcoming movie, so super glad I scored this pb.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Classy Crooks looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you have been reading some amazing books. I have been wanting to read The Classy Crooks Club- and now you have given me some other books to add to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lol! I will never forget the first time I took Olivia's phone away. She wouldn't talk to me for 2 days and glared at me the whole time. Now when I take it away she just walks off and reads her kindle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You actually read books in April?? All I read was blogs and Wikipedia, lol :) The BFF Bucket List and Classy Crooks Club both sound like fun. I'm hoping to get back into reading again this month.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Some awesome titles on this list! I'm particularly going to have to snag Classy Crooks Club :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Every single one of these look amazing. The Classy Crooks Club caught my eye the most.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A great list of books. Yeah, the idea of little old ladies being crooks with good intentions appeals to me, too. I can understand their goals.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am currently slogging through The Man in the High Castle, but it is a slow process. I had much more fun reading Liane Moriarty's Three Wishes and What Alice Forgot. I can't wait until her new book comes out this summer. Those middle grade books look great. Such timely subjects as I have a six-grader.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some great shares, The Classy Crooks Club especially appeals.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great list, I'm snagging it all.

    ReplyDelete
  31. They all sound like great reads. Crooks Club especially sounds appealing:)
    Congrats, Christine:)
    Kudos, Steph, for your unstinting support of fellow writers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yay, congrats to Dee!!

    The Classy Crooks Club sounds so fun! What a super cool idea for a book—wish I'd thought of it! Lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just finished, "Make Me" by Lee Child. Love his writing, but gotta skim over the blood & guts stuff. At the moment, I'm out of something to hold-in-my-hand read. Not nice.

    ReplyDelete