Friday, March 25, 2016

Best Books of March

It's time once again to tell you about the best books I read this month. Here are the month's best!



If you've read my blog before, you know I love Kristina Springer's books. So, of course, I was excited to learn she has a new book coming out. And I was even more excited to get an advanced copy of it from the publisher. That means I get to tell you about it before it comes out in the hopes you'll pre-order it and boost her first-day sales! This is her book:





As with every Kristina Springer book, I found myself wondering why I didn't come up with this fantabulous idea. I think my forehead is bruised from hitting myself in the head over it! Cici Reno #MiddleSchoolMatchmaker is a modern-day twist on the Cyrano de Bergerac story. Only instead of passing letters to the guy her friend is too shy to talk to, Cici sets up a fake Twitter account and communicates with him on there. I know...brilliant, right? And, as always, she throws tons of tension in there and keeps you turning each page, eager to see that happy ending that had better be coming!

How can you see the cover of this next book and not want to open it up and see what's inside?



The Eighth Day is the first in Dianne K. Salerni's Eighth Day series and it starts off with a bang. A 13-year-old boy wakes up one day to find he's the only person around. Cars are parked on the road, just as they were when he went to bed the night before. What he soon finds out is that he's stumbled upon the eighth day--a day of the week only a small group of people are around to enjoy. But there is a dark side to the eighth day...and that dark side is what brings the action that will keep you reading the next book and the next and the next.

I love this blogging community because it introduces me to books I wouldn't have read otherwise. Books like Travelers by Meradeth Houston, a time travel that is awesomesauce. Seriously!




One of the most complicated things about writing a time travel book is making the travel vehicle believable. In Travelers, the author gets that out of the way by creating characters who are travelers. It's just how they were born. Their way of life comes with very strict rules, including that they can never travel outside of their lifetime. When something happens that breaks all the rules, the main character is forced to try to make things right again. This book combines time travel with action and a little romance...once you start reading, you won't be able to put it down.

Just after finishing Travelers, I dove into a more serious book. Jumping from time travel to the real world was an interesting experience, especially since I went from one book to the other in the same sitting! The real-world book I chose was Beverly Stowe McClure's Under a Purple Moon.



We like to close our eyes and pretend that bad parents don't exist, but they do. As the author illustrates in Under a Purple Moon, there are lost children out there, abandoned by their parents but afraid to find out what happens if they turn their neglectful parents in. Eden and her friend Murphy have created a home for themselves in an abandoned house. When two new friends join them, they create a family of their own. But nothing lasts forever. I wanted to adopt Eden by the end of the book. A compelling, dramatic read that is both heartbreaking and uplifting.

My next book is something different. I haven't read a book of poetry in a long, long time. But Lidy Wilks is such a talented blogger and great friend, I had to check it out. Plus, look at this colorful cover:



Can You Catch My Flow? is a compilation of poetry that covers different phases of a person's life. After reading, I noticed that these poems were written starting when the author was young, progressing to today. It feels as though we're maturing with Lidy as we read, but the poetry is beautifully written from the first page. The book is a statement about youth, maturity, and parenthood, as well as the deeper meaning of life.

Did you read any good books this month?

42 comments:

  1. I know several of those authors! Beverly and I share the same publisher.
    I need to start Dianne's series, especially now that there are three out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love Dianne's series, Alex!

      Delete
  2. I need to find these books. They all look good.

    I've read quite a bit this month. For my book club, we read "The Prince of Tides."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the Prince of Tides. Pat Conroy is one of my favorite authors.

      Delete
    2. I never read The Prince of Tides, but I've heard about it all my life. I need a book club!

      Delete
    3. Our book for next month is "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. I started it yesterday. It's a little out of my league of reading :-) Even though I like fantasy and historical fiction.

      Delete
  3. When I read your blog, I think you must have a little time generating machine and be one of those folks who only need about four hours of sleep at night.
    All of those books sound fabulous. The concept of the eighth day is quite clever. As far as travelers, I bet if I were one I would never venture about. I can't say the same for the average eighth grader. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Ann. I actually read while walking on my treadmill...and I try to get to 10,000 steps a day, so I'm on there for about an hour every single day. That's a lot of reading time.

      Delete
  4. The 8th Day is intriguing as I'm always complaining that I never have enough time. What a concept to add an 8th day for only a group of people. What would I do with an extra day? Maybe I would sleep it off. lol.

    Can You Catch My flow also sounds interesting to me. I like the idea of the maturing as the author writes.

    I remember when I was very young, I so wanted to be a matured person and I was wondering how would I know when I arrived at maturity. I wondered if anyone else thought as me. I found the girls of my age then were so immature. lol.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a dark side to the 8th day, though... Of course! But an extra day would be nice. I don't know if I could do without electricity, but the characters in the book hook up a generator, so there's that. Just not having Facebook as a distraction would let me get SO much done!

      Delete
  5. What a great variety of reading. I adore Christina Springer's books too. Time travel is exciting and an extra day in the week would be nice. Thanks for your wonderful review of my book. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another Kristina Springer fan!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for reading and reviewing Travelers!! Hugs!! And I've also added quite a few more of these to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Thanks for writing such an enjoyable book.

      Delete
  7. You are so kind to other authors. That rocks.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee. Happy Easter weekend!

      Delete
  8. I've read Travelers and I have Beverly's book. I'd like to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many books, so little time.
    Under a Purple Moon is the one I find most tempting, and have been tempted by it in several places recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been everywhere. I love the color on the cover. Can't resist that!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for reading and giving a wonderful review of Can You Catch My Flow? :-D
    I have The Eighth Day on my TBR list, which I'm looking forward to reading one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had more time to read. Love the selection of books here. You make me want to read them. The Time Travel book sounds cool. It sounds a lot like Quantum Leap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read while on my treadmill, so multitasking is the only way that works for me!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for featuring The Eighth Day, Stephanie! (And thanks for the Amazon review, which I recently stumbled across!) Adding Traveler to my short list ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time! I hope to read your others, too...taking me a while to get around to everyone!

      Delete
  13. I recently just started making time to read again. You've got some good selections.

    Mary
    Twitter: @KnottyMarie
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's important to work reading into our days, although it can be very, very challenging sometimes!

      Delete
  14. I have read 2 of the best books you read in March. I loved Travelers and I also loved The Eighth Day. I just read the second book in that series too. I don't have the third yet. :)

    Loved finding out about your reads. Now I just need to get to Beverly's book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw Under a Purple Moon somewhere else and thought it looked good then. Now that I know what it's about, I definitely want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read anything in awhile. Need to check these out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've actually read Eighth Day. It was good. This month I've been rereading a lot. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I was studying to be an English teacher (a bazillion years ago) I read tons of middle grade books. You have a nice list here with lots of variety :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read The Eighth Day and its two sequels and loved them to bits :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank You Stephanie for promoting all these wonderful books!!!!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome collection of books. Thanks for sharing these.
    Happy Easter :)
    Rajiv
    http://www.magicalpresent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have not read any of the above book. Now am reading a YA book.... Jubilee Manor. not bad

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lots of good ones! I would have loved an eighth day back when I was working:)
    Hope your Easter is wondrous, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've read a lot of good books this month, though none of these - a few of them definitely sound interesting. And Dianne posted my book's first page for a thing she does on her blog a while back, yay. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so awesome to support your writer/blogger friends this way! Dianne's concept is brilliant--what a great idea. It sounds like a fantastic read, and I love Meradeth's cover.

    The best books I read in March were "Kicking & Dreaming"--the memoir by Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart; and "Where Nightmares Begin"--a collection of three horror novellas by Glenn Rolfe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are great book recommendations. I'm a fan of Dianne K. Salerni and her books, and I'll check out the others on your list. Nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete