Life is full of fears. Fear of death, fear of harm to loved ones, fear of this...
But every now and then we hear something new. Something we never knew we were supposed to be terrified about. Here are a few of life's fears you might have missed.
Don't you love when one of those extreme health nuts goes toe to toe with a scientific mind? That happened on a Facebook group recently. Someone was saying that she doesn't use microwaves because the radiation causes cancer. Someone quickly handed down the facts...but I doubt she'll listen because it's so much more fun for these people to live in fear.
2. Batteries catching fire
What do you do with extra batteries? If you're like many people, you store them in a drawer. However, 9-volt batteries, when left to roll around a drawer at will, can become a fire hazard. Read more about it here.
3. Children swallowing batteries
This is pretty serious. At Christmastime, an adorable toddler in Oklahoma died after swallowing a "button battery." In many cases, these batteries will pass through the body without harm, but if they become lodged in the esophagus, the alkaline can cause internal chemical burns.
4. Dog treats made in China
While the initial warning only applied to certain made in China dog treats, everyone is now paranoid of any dog treat not made in the USA. And try to find dog treats made in the USA the next time you're in the pet store. You'll learn just how hard they are to find.
5. Pets and electric blankets
I was surprised I couldn't find more warnings about this topic, but pets and electric blankets don't mix. I learned this the hard way in my younger years when I had to take my dog to the vet after he'd been on the electric blanket for a while. The diagnosis? Hyperthermia. He'd overheated. They hydrated him and cooled him down and he was fine, but the vet told me dogs are not supposed to be on electric blankets for that very reason. Like many people, I just assumed it was because they might chew on the cords inside. My dog loves to sleep on my electric blanket but I always turn it off as soon as she gets all settled.
Those are only a few of the warnings circulated. What panic-inducing warnings have you heard recently?