Friday, January 08, 2016

My Writing Process by Anna Simpson

I always love when my blogging buddies have new books out, especially when it's one of my favorites! Today we're celebrating the launch of White Light by Anna Simpson. She's written an extra-special guest post about her writing process. Be sure to scroll down after the post to read all about her new book!
----------------------------------------------------------

MY WRITING PROCESS
By Anna Simpson

Well, first off thank you for letting me loose on your site. Very nice. Very nice indeed.

So you want to know how I do it. Come in. A little closer. Closer.

*looks around for eavesdroppers*

I put one word down. *clears her throat* Then I do it again.

Hey, put that water balloon down. Or better yet throw it at Stephanie. She’s the one that asked.




Enough fun. But I’m warning you some of this is a little dry.

I do a lot of planning. Try these questions on for size. What’s your genre? Got some character ideas? How many words do you want to write? After jotting down some answers, I cut the word count into four parts, using the Three Act Structure, and decide what is going to happen at the inciting incident, half-way point, the showdown.

Imagine your cast of characters. The louder, less organized and demanding the better. Have them all want to be the hero or villain. They all have agendas. Think cattle call on Broadway. So there will be fighting/upstaging until there are only two left standing. The hero will carry most of the load, so need to be as fleshed out as you can make them. The villain must be as smart and in-the-hero’s-face as possible without alienating your readers. Note: This part of the process can be a time suck.

Then write: Chapter One Scene One. Point in everyone in right direction and let your characters loose…

Okay now the rest is up to you. And remember if you give them weapons wear a helmet. Smile. :-)





Blurb:

Emma never dreamed of being a super-sleuth. In her mind, she’s more Scooby Doo than Nancy Drew and when her nosy neighbor, Mrs. Perkins, drags her to an anniversary party to solve a mystery, she rolls her eyes, buys a box of chocolates and hops in the car. 

What’s a party without an attack on its host—or more accurately on the host’s grandson, sparking an allergic reaction and moving the party to the hospital waiting room. Suddenly, everyone is a suspect. Emma and Mrs. Perkins, along with Great Aunt Alice (a spirit with boundary issues who keeps stepping into Emma’s body like a new dress and playing matchmaker), dive into an investigation that almost gets Emma killed along with the man they are trying to protect. With so many reasons to kill him and so much to be gained if he died, Emma and Mrs. Perkins must unravel the tenuous ties that point to every member of his family as potential killers. 

Even if it means going back to the psych ward, Emma will protect her friend and this innocent man. What good is freedom if it's haunted with guilt? 

Bio:


Anna Simpson lives near the Canadian-US border with her family. Even though she's lived in several places in British Columbia, her free spirit wasn't able to settle down until she moved back to her hometown.

The woman is easy to find though, if you know the magic word -- emaginette. Do an internet search using it and you'll see what I mean. :-)


Links:

53 comments:

  1. I guess I must pick rather tough heroes, as there's never fighting for that spot. For top secondary character... yeah, there's a scramble for that one.
    Congratulations, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the secondary characters are stars in their own stories. That's why I've always been fascinated by series, where the secondary characters become the main characters in later books.

      Delete
    2. So much fun. They all want to be stars. hehehe

      Delete
    3. True Stephanie, a series can really let everyone have the spotlight for a while. :-)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to Anna. The Emma story has a very exciting intro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the comment. Emma steps up when it means the most. :-)

      Delete
  3. Anna has a great recipe to liven up the plot in her story. Coming in with a punch... No dead beat in the bunch. She sounds like a fun gal who knows how to write.
    Hugs, JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. You are very kind.

      Delete
  5. Hooray for planning! 'tis better to plan then to come unprepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, plans can always be amended as they are put into action. It makes tracking the plot so much easier. :-)

      Delete
  6. I love the way you described your process Anna, so true and explained so witty too. Wishing you much success,
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juneta. Maybe I can be funny @ times. :-)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your new release, Anna. Wishing you many sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm pretty excited. :-)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at one word at a time. Excellent advice, Anna. I often see my characters as actors in a movie too, only I'll imagine I have a small budget and to keep costs down, I see what characters can do double duty. I hope that keeps me from giving readers character overload.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that. I'm making a note and hope you don't mind. :-)

      Delete
  10. Great tips! And can I just say how much I enjoyed the frolic in this post? Seriously, I'm not even an author, but Anna Simpson makes it sound like fun :) Again, thank you so much for sharing all this inside information and congratulations on your launch day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. So far the launch has been roses. :-)

      Delete
  11. It's great to see a photo of you! All this time, I've been picturing you as your avatar. :)

    I've said it before and I'll say it again - this book sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swiped that one from her Amazon profile. It was like when I saw Cathrina Constantine's photo for the first time--I was all excited. Like seeing the wizard behind the curtain!

      Delete
    2. I don't mind being thought of as a toon. She's cute. :-)

      Delete
  12. Congratulations. It does sound like fun.
    I do like characters who evolve. And who want the starring role...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was quite a show but well worth my time.

      Delete
  13. I like Simpson's advice on writing. Congratulation to her for her new book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats. Each writer has their own style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose that make us all special. :-)

      Delete
  15. Nice to meet Anna and her book sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's exciting! Congrats to Anna. Beautiful year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Planning is a good thing. Congrats, Anna. (Hey, I have a magic internet word, too. Or rather, it's two words.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes it easy to be found, doesn't it? :-)

      Delete
  18. Very nice. Feels a bit like Ghost, with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze, but I'm not sure why. Sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope its fun, but there will be no happy ending between Tom and Aunt Alice. The age difference is murder. hehehe

      Delete
  19. It sounds like a really interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, but I'm very biased. :-)

      Delete
  20. Thanks so much for having me. I had a blast. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for guest blogging...and for writing such a fun post!

      Delete
  21. I love reads like this!!! And I love this cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good writing plan. You really get into your characters and your plot. And speaking of plot. White Light sounds great.

    Hi, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I envy both of you your ability to write!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing your process, Anna. Congrats on your book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful to hear from Anna. I have been seeing her book everywhere. Yeah for her! Wishing her all the best. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great advice using the three-act structure to jump start a story. Good luck to Anna!

    ReplyDelete