Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Best Books of November

I usually recap my best books of the month on the last Friday...but this week is all jacked up because of the holiday. So I'm doing this one early to make sure everyone gets to see it! Here we go...all the great books I read in November.



I had so much fun reading this month's first book. Ruby Reinvented is Ronni Arno's debut novel and it's so much fun!




Ruby is the daughter of two mega-celebrities. The kind of celebrities even tweens know about. While that might seem like a cool life to lead, we learn through Ruby's story that it can royally suck. You see, when your parents are famous, people befriend you just so they can meet them. After learning her best friend is just pretending, Ruby arranges to be transferred across the country, where she tells everyone her parents are dead. We get to then watch Ruby emerge from her cocoon as for the first time, people let her know she is both talented and a great friend. Not only does this book have the perfect message for young girls, but it's a super-fun read!

My next book was from a fellow blogger some of you may recognize. Melanie Schulz blogs about her life, writing, and great books. She also writes great books herself...namely, a series called The Newstead Trilogy. I started with Volume 1:




Warning: This book will pull you in from the start...and it won't let you go until the end. Then you'll want to grab book #2 and read it immediately! Don't say you haven't been warned. Joel is living a fairly normal life with his single mom when he is recruited to join Newstead, an all-boys' school. He has a bad feeling about the school, but he doesn't listen to his intuition. He should have. What follows is an exciting mystery-slash-adventure with a little romance thrown in. I loved the way Melanie slowly revealed the truth about Newstead. You'll love this one!

Nick Wilford is a blogging buddy of mine, so I was excited to read his anthology, A Change of Mind and Other Stories



Most of the book is a phenomenal story called A Change of Mind. It stars Reuben, a timid man who deals with constantly being bullied. You know the type--walks around with his shoulders slumped. Reuben stumbles upon the answer to all of his problems: a surgical operation that will give him more confidence. Only things go very wrong in a very Twilight Zone-ish way. In addition to this bigger story are five much smaller stories. I found Marissa especially good--and I demand Nick turn it into a book so I can find out what happens next! The entire book reminded me of the British TV series Black Mirror, which streams in America on Netflix. This is the kind of sci-fi I love...so I'm eager to read more of Nick's books.

The last book this month is a fun young adult novel from HarperCollins' Epic Reads Impulse line. I instantly fell in love with the title of this one.



There are so many things to love about The Jock and the Fat Chick. The story is told from the male POV and the author, who is definitely not a male, did such an amazing job of capturing the mind of the adolescent male. I also loved the fact that when we saw the "fat chick" through the main character's eyes, not once did she ever come across as even overweight. We saw her as he did--beautiful and curvaceous. In fact, the main guy was completely unattracted to bony girls. I know men like that exist...I've met them. It just made me want to hug this fictional guy on behalf of all of those men who like some curves on their women!

What's the best book you read in November?

49 comments:

  1. I know Melanie and Nick! Their books are on my list.
    Have a great Thanksgiving, Stephanie. See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've read some great books this month. At the moment I'm reading Poldark. There was a new TV adaptation earlier this year which I enjoyed so I thought I'd get stuck in to the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look into that one. Have a great Thanksgiving, Jo!

      Delete
  3. You are so kind to other authors. You really are. Your two books are almost at the top of my to read pile. I've been so busy with a million other things.

    Have a fabulous day and a very happy Thanksgiving. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Sandee! My fellow authors have been so good to me during my releases, I have to pay that kindness back AND forward! I know how much every review and positive accolade can help an author, so I do my part! Plus, it's the least I can do to thank authors for all the reading enjoyment they give me each month.

      Delete
  4. I love the covers, Stephanie, and I agree with Sandee...you are so kind to other authors. This will make you go far in life because kindness speaks volumes. I am reading Anne Frank's Family, it is a fascinating book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I didn't know there was a book about her family. Sounds interesting.

      Delete
    2. Hi Stephanie, thankfully there is! I will give you the info in case you want to read it. Treasures from the Attic: The Extraordinary Story of Anne Frank's Family by Mirjam Pressler. :)

      Delete
  5. Seems like fun books you've been reading. Will you be reading festive ones in December?
    I'm half way through translating GLASS SWORD, and almost done working on YOUNG ELITE, and then I'm off to Tahereh Mafi's trilogy SHATTER ME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'm reading one about a girl who goes on a reality show like The Amazing Race. Maybe I'll read the anthology Medeia's in--it's a scary Christmas story!

      Delete
  6. Wow! That's quite an eclectic collection. Of this month's picks Ruby Reinvented caught my attention and not just because of that cute cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book! I love the fact that this month's reading was such an interesting journey. Every single book was the type of book you can't put down (which is good, since I read on my treadmill and it kept me going!)

      Delete
  7. Oh, Stephanie!! Now I have even more books to add to my reading list (which is growing by the day!) I'm going to have to chuck a sicky year to get through them all - now wouldn't that be absolute bliss :) Thanks for sharing and have a great December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to just spend an entire week doing nothing but reading! I still wouldn't be caught up on all the books I want to read, though.

      Delete
  8. All these sound like great reads. Ruby Reinvented sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! They were all great! Thanks, Jeffrey.

      Delete
  9. First time I've been intro'd to Melanie and Nick. Will definitely check them out! Also, that EpicReads book. Sounds like a really fun read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the EpicReads books are great! Check out Jen Malone's and Gail Nall's books with them, as well.

      Delete
  10. All these books sound great! My TBR is ever growing, but I'm sure I can squeeze a few of these on there too ;). I've been reading Robin Hobb's The Farseer trilogy - it's so good, I've even been dreaming about it at night...probably a sign I shouldn't be reading it so much, but I just can't wait to see what happens in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking if you're dreaming it at night, it's definitely a good book!

      Delete
  11. All these books sound great Stephanie. My TBR pile is becoming higher and higher. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TBR never stops growing, does it? Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

      Delete
  12. I gotta add some of these to my wish list!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the amazing review! You made my day, and it's nice to be in good company here. Melanie's books have been on my list for too long - have to get to them. Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You read some good ones it seems. I'm only familiar with one author, but now I need to check out the others. Good themes in these.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many books, so little time.
    Thank you - and have a great thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great choices. I will definitely have to check them out. Thank you for sharing. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These all sound so good. Great reviews. Some day I'd like to hibernate and do nothing but read. Ah, what a nice dream.
    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, all of those sound really good!

    The best book I read this month by far was, "We Need to Talk about Kevin." I'll never forget it. Some people don't like it because it's disturbing, but I think it's one of the best books I've *ever* read, and that's saying a lot.

    Have you read that one? Enjoyed The Great Gatsby too, once I got past the first fifty pages or so.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh you totally have me intrigued with these books! I've heard of Melanie's and Nicks and have them on my TBR, but well, they all sound great, so now my pile is growing. Thanks so much. o_O lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Every one of these sound exceptional! Nick was already on my list, and now I have three more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. These sound great. I'm reading The Ghost Files at the moment and I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I should really write down what I read so I can remember titles. But I don't. And the last book I read... When inner editor turns on and thinks about how the book could be rewritten, it's not a good book. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These books all sound very interesting, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm jealous! It seems like I can't get any reading time lately. They ALL sound wonderful.

    Have a happy Thanksgiving and be safe! I hope you are surrounded with loved ones and goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just dropping in to wish you and yours a happy day today. I'm thankful that writing has brought me the opportunity to get to know you. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for the shout-out Stephanie! So glad you liked it. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like you found some really good books to read! Happy Turkey Day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Thanksgiving to you, dear Stephanie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like a good reading harvest for November, Stephanie. :) I just finished reading a funny Sharon Creech novel, Absolutely Normal Chaos. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's why I love this blog! New book and new bloggers to check out! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed Nick's book. The rest also look amazing. Melanie's book seems intriguing and Ronni's has an amazing cover.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So many awesome reads! I am definitely grabbing a copy of Jock :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. You always have the best books to share, Stephanie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'll have to read the Newstead Projects series. Very few books have left an impression on me like the books I've read in November, The Drowned Boy by Karin Faussom and the Idea of Love by Patti Callahan Henry. The Drowned Boy made me laugh, cry and angry. The Idea of Love is a lighthearted romance.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the introduction to all these awesome reads!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I haven't read any of these- but they sound great! Always love to hear about the books you have been reading.I read Eon in November and really enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete