Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Voices: A Guest Post by Karen Helene Walker

Karen Helene Walker is a new friend of mine, so I'm excited to introduce her to everyone! She's here today to promote her new book, The Wishing Steps, which is available now! You can order it here. She's here to talk about something most writers can relate to--the voices in her head.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Voices

by Karen Helene Walker

Thank you, Stephanie, for hosting me today.

I’ve always had voices in my head. For many years, they tortured me with their negativity. I had to learn to sort out those negative voices from the voice of wisdom that is my Higher Self. I was comfortable with all of that. Until I went on vacation to Scotland and Ireland in 2009 and a voice I’d never heard before from inside of me said, “Tell my story.” I wasn’t sure exactly what I heard, so I said, “Sorry, I’m on vacation.” But the voice came again while in Ireland. Once more, I ignored it. But when I got home, I couldn’t forget what I’d heard and began to explore who or what this voice was and what story it wanted me to tell.

I’ve always imagined that fiction writers must have many voices inside their heads. The voice of the Muse or God or whatever it is that brings an author the idea for a story. Then there are the voices of the different characters. I didn’t hear the voices of my characters inside my head. It was more that I felt what they wanted to say and wrote that down. But I wonder whether some writers do hear their characters speak in a voice different from the author’s own voice. Do share in comments if you have thoughts on this, please.

If a writer does hear their character talking, how do you turn that off? How do you live your life while some character is living inside your head living theirs? It’s mind-boggling. Over the years, my negative voices quieted down considerably and more and more, it’s the voice of wisdom I hear. I’ve also learned that when the negative voice does come, I can shift it quickly by turning my energy and attention to the voice of wisdom.

Ironically, that is one of the themes in The Wishing Steps. Turning from what I call the Dark Side, to the Light of the Goddess. Here is the scoop on the story:



Blurb:

Three Women and a Single Story That Unites Them Across the Millennia

“Totally engrossing. A must-read for today’s wise woman!” Rev. Kathleen McKern Verigin, minister/priestess

Brighid, Ashleen and Megan: Bound through time by a curious light, a mysterious voice and a call they dare not ignore. Yet in obeying this strange force, the women must face soul-searing trials that call into question everything they know and believe — about themselves and about the world around them.

“Guaranteed to inspire you to a deeper level of spirituality and a new appreciation for Goddess.”Rev. Clara Z. Alexander

Bio:

Karen Helene Walker is a widely published essayist and author of the 2009 memoir, Following the Whispers. When she isn’t writing, you will often find Karen performing in nursing homes and retirement communities as part of the Sugartime or Sophisticated Ladies musical groups, traveling with her husband of 20 years, Gary, or relaxing with a good book at their home in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Visit the author’s website at www.karenhelenewalker.com







Contact info:

41 comments:

  1. Karen, I love how you've learned to tune out the negative voice and shift more to the energy and positive. Congrats on the book release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations again, Karen!
    I really don't hear the characters talking in my head. Is that wrong? I just know what they sound like, their personality, etc., without ever hearing them speak.
    Then again, I never wanted to be an author, so maybe that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a book I would like to read. It's not always easy turning off the negative voices and it takes efforts to turn on the positive voices once the negative voices speaks.

    Congratulations on your new book Karen.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Karen! I don't know as though my characters speak to me, but as I'm writing their dialogue I do hear their unique voice in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning, Stephanie - thanks again for hosting me today.
    Mason, it's a constant struggle to pay attention and shift that energy, but at least now I can do it
    Alex, nah, it has nothing to do with you not wanting to be an author - we just all work differently. And maybe you didn't want to be, but you ARE.
    Julia, thank you - it's definitely to easy.
    mshatch, thanks for sharing, I love hearing how other writers work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for including me in your blog tour, Karen. It's an honor to help you celebrate your new release! Can't wait to read it.

      Delete
    2. You honor me by being such a supportive blogging friend. Thank you from the bottom of my heart

      Delete
  6. What an interesting post! But then ever since I read Karen's book Following the Whispers, I've learned what an interesting person she is, and never afraid to speak out about her personal life. Yes, I hear voices when I'm embarking on a new project. Or perhaps like you, Karen, I hear the character and that's what makes me excited to start a new book. It was Helena's personality that made me write Afraid of Everything, how this woman wanted to hide from the world in her coma.

    Thanks for hosting Karen today, Stephanie. I am looking forward to having her visit my blog on Monday, and of course to reading her new book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. I'm glad others find my journey interesting. It's not easy sometimes being inside my skin. I have Afraid of Everything on my TBR in my Kindle. See ya Monday.

      Delete
  7. Very interesting. Something to think about. Loved the blurb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, Oh, goody, glad you liked the blurb.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your new book, Karen! It sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your new book, Karen. Though I don't actually hear the voices in my head, bits and pieces of the story images constantly flit through my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not very visual so it makes sense mine would be auditory. Isn't it interesting how our creativity comes in such different ways?

      Delete
  10. Karen sounds a wonderful writer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulation on your new book, Karen. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great story! Congratulations, Karen, and much success with it!
    Guilie @ Quiet Laughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Guille, it's already a success in my mind - I finished it!!!

      Delete
  13. Congrats, Karen! I admire how you've managed to concentrate on the positive voices, that's something we should all try. I don't really hear my characters talking to me at odd times (maybe I'm lucky), but I do hear their distinctive voices when reading over dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool, Nick. Do you read it out lout in the different voices?

      Delete
  14. Getting rid of the negative and focusing on the wise and good stuff is essential. Glad you learned how to do that.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Sandee - thanks - you have a great day as well!

      Delete
  15. Congratulations Karen. It is crowded in my head, and the negative voices are much the loudest when I let them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Elephant's Child - mine too. Sometimes they feel like they're screaming. But I'm catching them so much quicker now they don't have time to get to a shout, LOL.

      Delete
  16. Glad you gave your muse full rein. Story sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Story is different, anyway - hope it's interesting to some. Thanks, Sophia.

      Delete
  17. Congrats on your book Karen. I have heard voices and different ones-men also but I never listened to them to write it down. Maybe one day I will...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Birgit, I hope you do one day...look what happened to me!

      Delete
  18. Those voices in your ears are so exciting when they start telling you their stories. That's happened to me. This little voice once said, "I live in a doghouse." Well, of course I had to ask him why. The result of that conversation in my mind is a book. Congratulations on your novel, Karen and to all the other stories being whispered in your ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beverly. Yes, it is exciting now that it's finished. The journey was not easy for me.

      Delete
  19. Congrats on your new book Karen!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good night Stephanie. Thank you so much for a great day in my blog tour.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratualations on your book, Karen, it sounds like it's going to be a big success.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how you put both of your books in the headbanner, Stephanie, most writers forget to do it and you often can't even see their covers on their first page.
    Congrats to lady Walker!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember as a little kid when I found out other people didn't have conversations going in their heads. Always loved making up stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the fact that you've channeled your negative energy into positive. I've always felt that the best place for negative energy is in our villains.
    Wishing you much success.

    Hi, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the book. I've never "heard voices". More like seen scenes that played out.

    ReplyDelete