Monday, October 19, 2015

Paranormal Activity Truth or Fiction: Guest Post by Valerie Capps

Full disclosure: today's guest blogger is my mom. But she's also the best writer I've ever read. Now you see where I got my writing gene! Today she's celebrating the launch of her first book on Amazon. It's a short story that is the beginning of a series called Proctor Hollow. I was lucky to get an early edition of it and I loved it. You will, too! Plus, it's only $.99. Be sure to stick around after her guest post to read more about her book. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Paranormal Activity Truth or Fiction

by Valerie Capps

It’s that time of the year again. Halloween! The season when those of us who enjoy a good story about things that go bump in the night try to get our fix for the year. As for me, I’m constantly searching for a new ghost story or paranormal book to read. More often than not when I find one it turns out to be a tedious read that doesn’t allow me to suspend my disbelief or it becomes so gory that instead of teasing my imagination it makes my stomach do queasy flip-flops. 

Some psychologists are investigating why so many people persist in believing in superstitious nonsense and perpetuating ancient folklore. They tell us that most paranormal experiences can be explained. Brain processing glitches, alcohol, drugs, tricks of lighting and other rational explanations dismiss most instances of the paranormal. But then there are the ones that can’t be explained away so easily. What about those phenomena? Psychologists tell us they’re still “looking into” those instances and are confident a reasonable explanation will eventually be found. Until then, there will be people like me who continue to be fascinated by the unknown and unexplained.

According to surveys, up to three-fourth of Americans believe in the paranormal. Nearly one in five say they’ve actually seen a ghost. Most people won’t admit this except in confidential surveys for fear of being thought ignorant, superstitious or a few ghosts short of a haunting. For this reason, I’ll tell you right now that I am not superstitious (knock on wood) and I’ve never seen a ghost (although if you won’t tell anyone, I will admit to having heard and felt the presence of a few spirits during my lifetime).  

Why are so many people fascinated with things that can’t be explained? Are you one of them? Do you believe in ghosts, spirits and paranormal activity? If so, you might find my Procter Hollow Short Stories interesting; if not, perhaps you will find them mildly entertaining. 




Blurb:

Six-year-old Lucy Rhys has never met her great-grandmother Rhys, a woman known to locals as the Holler Witch. The woman lives deep in the woods of Proctor Hollow, a place Lucy’s mother and aunt call the Devil’s Den. In the fall of 1955 the old woman was dying and her last wish was to see Lucy. Everyone knows it is very bad luck to thwart a dying wish—especially on All Hallows Eve and the night of a lunar blood moon. 

Bio:


Valerie Capps is a freelance writer. Her short stories and articles have appeared in magazines and newsletters with world-wide circulation. Since her retirement from State Government last year, she has ghost-written two books for Kindle Publication and numerous articles for on-line sites. Her latest project is a series of short stories with a paranormal theme set in a mid-twentieth century town called Proctor Hollow. The stories will be individually published in the upcoming months as Amazon Kindle e-books. The first in the Proctor Hollow series, The Holler Witch, is now available on Amazon


Valerie lives in Nashville, Tennessee, with her husband, Doug, and their Welsh Corgi, Bandit.



Contact info:

50 comments:

  1. Nope, never was one of them... horror and supernatural elements have never been my cup of Earl Grey with lemon :)
    Congrats to Lady Capps on her book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your mom!
    I've only had one weird encounter. But I do believe. After all, this world is controlled by evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should write a book about your encounter!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a believer, but I do get freaked out easily, so I don't read or watch anything scary. Congrats to Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a weird line I can't cross with scary things, but this book is on the good side of that line! It's not "freak out" scary. Just scary enough.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations to your mom. The Holler Witch sounds intriguing. I'm one of those who loves to read about things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Valerie! I'm fascinated by the paranormal too. I've never seen a ghost but it's not through lack of trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you on that, Christine!

      Delete
  6. You and your mom do have a resemblance and I think I know where you got your love of writing and also the spook factor.

    I'm not superstitious but I've had an unexplained thing happen to me once when I was about 16. I was alone in a small corner store, stocking the shelves like I did every morning until opening. It was very quiet in the store and I love being there alone. The only customers early in the morning would be school kids picking some snacks for school but it was still too early for any kids to be around. The door was locked behind me when I came in. I went about my business stocking the shelves behind the counter and I heard a very clear and audible voice calling my name.

    I was surprised and turned around and answered but saw no one. I made my way around the small store and there was no place for anyone to hide. I went into the stock room and no one was there. I went outside and again locking the door behind me and hoping to see someone around the corner but no one was there. I came back in and again locked the door knowing that I really heard that voice talking clearly to me.

    Later that day I received the news that my 16 year old cousin Alex had died of leukemia.
    To this day, I'm convinced that I heard that voice. Was it Alex coming to say good bye? I'll never know but we were very close.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that Alex had died at about the time I heard the voice. I wonder if anyone has had the same experience as me.
      JB

      Delete
    2. Oh wow...that story gave me chills!

      Delete
  7. I actually didn't believe in it until recently but now I sort of do!! and yay, loved reading this, hi Stephanie's mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do believe in them after my mother came home, put her keys on the table, 15 minutes later she went to get her keys to go out, she searched high and low and finally she was in the kitchen and she looked up and found the keys hanging on a hook way up on the wall where she had to get a chair to retrieve them... I am not ashamed to admit I am a believer xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to your mother! I'm a paranormal chicken through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to you mom! I totally believe in the paranormal. I owned a house that had a 'visitor'. We blessed it and the visitor left, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe in this and it scares me to pieces. I try not to read anything that will make me have nightmares. I'm to afraid for this kind of reading.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulatons to your mama. The Holler Witcht sounds intriguing.
    There is so much we don't know, and I am not ready to shut the door on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to your mom. The Holler Witch sounds a fascinating story! I love reading this type of thrilling/chilling stories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look like your mom! How wonderful to have 2 writers in the family. I believe in spirits and have had things happen to me that I can't explain. I find anything dealing with the supernatural very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's wonderful that you and your mom have so much in common!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's great that the writer gene is two generations. I'm not a serious spooky fan in my reading, but I will pick up a good paranormal story now and then so I'll check out her 'Holler' witch. I do think there is a whole 'nother 'world' beyond our physical world b/c there are just too many things that only make sense if that is true, but I've not experienced anything personally.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! The Holler Witch sounds very interesting. I'm with you, I've definitely felt the presence of something once or twice. Not to mention that I sometimes hear my mom calling me, and when I ask her what's wrong, she doesn't know what I'm talking about. I don't think I ever want to see a ghost, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So nice to meet you, Stephanie's mom.
    And what a perfect book for the Halloween season. Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations to you mother. I don't believe in ghosts, but I don't say that too much since I live just outside the most haunted city in the South.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not traditionally superstitious, but I do believe in things that most people would squint at.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just testing- I think I lost my last two comments.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay- I did.

    The Holler Witch sounds fabulous. A perfect read for this time of year.

    I am not superstitious anymore, but I used to be. I do think that ghosts or other worldly beings could exist and am curious when I hear stories about them.

    Nice to meet Valerie! Wishing her the best of luck. :)
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I sort of believe it's possible there are spirits/ghosts/whatever. Love to read stories about them. Congratulations on your book. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations to Valerie! I'm with her about scary stories. I've finally published one myself! Halloween is a good time to find scary books. I'm sure ghosts exist and I think humans are pretty gullible if they think supernatural beings aren't all around them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops being a lover of the genre, I bought Valerie's book! Can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  25. Congratulations to your mom! Like mother like daughter, both are good writers. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulation to your mum, I'm sure she'll enjoy lots of success with her book.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats to your mom! I see where you get your good looks. :D Go mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's not that I believe in them, I just don't want to. Because then the alternative would be too much to handle. I can watch a ghost movie but can't handle those reality shows searching for paranormal activity and haunted places. I don't even want to think or say the name of that drink made with vodka and tomato juice, from that legend where she comes out after saying her name...shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats to your mom. I love the cover of her book.

    I think I do believe in ghosts, though I like to say I don't. Mostly out of fear of seeing one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats to your momma! That's awesome :)

    I don't really believe in ghosts, but I sure do like reading about them!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How cool that mom is a writer! Her book sounds great! And yes, I believe in ghosts. I've had a few unexplainable experience of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The idea of the unknown is something that humans are naturally drawn to (and terrified by). Ghosts, spooks, and specters are ones we've held on to because we haven't figured it out yet however literally every science around the world was fueled by our same fascination and curiosity about that which we didn't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That definitely sounds interesting. Who would have thought 3/4 of people believed in the paranormal--at least in some form!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Valerie, I have no problem believing the stats that you shared. I think it's kinda funny that someone finds it easier to believe in ghosts and paranormal activity, yet don't believe Christianity. I know from a Christian perspective I don't believe in these things. It just doesn't make sense to me for ghost to linger because the Bible teaches us differently, but from a purely entertaining point of view I like being scared like the next person. Your book sounds intriguing. I'm certain it'll be successful given there are so many people who like scary fiction tales. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice to know a bit about your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh that is so fun that you two both write! That's awesome. As for the paranormal, I don't believe at all, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying good story!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Stephanie, I am so happy for your mother! She looks like a lovely person! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Stephanie, I am so happy for your mother! She looks like a lovely person! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very cool! Congrats to your mom and I wish her luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. The story sounds great! I for one love scary stories and I admit I believe in the supernatural.

    ReplyDelete