Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Best Books of October

It's the end of the month, which means it's time to share all of the great books I read this month.



Usually I do this on the last Friday of the month, but this month my Fridays are dedicated to "Scary October" posts. So we're doing this one a little early. But posting two days early didn't stop me from getting seven books read this month!


We're nearing Halloween, so I'll bet you're in the mood for something scary to read. I mentioned this book earlier this month, but now I get to tell you how much I enjoyed reading it!



In The Holler Witch, a six-year-old girl is called to the deathbed of a woman known as "Holler Witch." There's a reason she's been called there. This young girl has something special...and it's the same thing the Holler Witch has. But before she can leave, she must overcome her fears and accept the gift the dying woman has for her. This book feels both sweetly nostalgic and subtly spooky at the same time. This is the perfect horror story--dark and scary without being violent.

My next read for October is a boatload of books from Kristina Springer. I have to first say that my one of my life's goals is to read every book this awesome writer has written. I got a good start this month with this young adult box set:



You can also buy the books individually, starting with Just Your Average Princess. But with this box set, you get three super-awesome books in one! Every book is a standalone story about a group of teens living in a town called Average. The first story revolves around a pumpkin farm, while the second story is about a girl who signs up to allow the popular girls to date her boyfriend. The third story has students playing paparazzi and celebrities as part of a class project. All three books are way above average. You must read these books! You can get the whole box set for just $6.99.

My next book is by a blogger most of you know already. He's the one who brought most of us together! Alex J. Cavanaugh is not just a talented blogger and supportive friend, but he's a world-class writer, too. I read the first in his series, Cassastar.



I've never read a space opera before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. If I had to offer a comparison, I would compare CassaStar to Starship Troopers, a movie I really liked when it first came out. Now I'm wondering if I've missed out by not reading space opera before. CassaStar tells the story of a young space fighter who has extraordinary abilities and the struggles he faces in dealing with authority. While it may be set in space, I think its themes cross all genres. Alex is an amazing writer...if you haven't read this one, it's time to check it out!

The next book is a memoir by another favorite blogger of ours. You may know Anna Mullins from her blog about her life's adventures, but did you know there's a book, too?



After reading Confessions of a Crazy Fox, I officially know more about Anna Mullins than any other blogger. I know her entire life history! How can you beat that? This book--and books like it--are essential. They are the last memories of a very special time in our nation's history. Anna covers the tight family bonds that can sometimes lead to tensions. She takes us through the many ups and downs of her life in a way that only a talented storyteller can. I hope she'll move on to another book--perhaps a fictional tale about a girl growing up in the 50s? Maybe it's just that I love the 50s and can't read enough about that decade!

SK Anthony's Static is my next book. You probably know SK from her great blog, but I love her books just as much as her blog! Static is the sequel to Kinetic, a book I read earlier this year. But you don't have to read the first book to enjoy this one.



I love the way S.K. ended this book! I won't give anything away, but it promises an exciting Book Three, that's all I'll say. This book has it all: action, sci-fi, and romance--a love triangle, to be more exact. I was rooting for Kevin to get together with one of the two females...but then S.K. broke my heart! She redeemed it at the end, though, so all is good. This book will take you for a roller-coaster ride of emotions, which is what I call a great book!

That's it for October. What's the best book you read this month?

54 comments:

  1. Hello Stephanie, I think I would choose "Confession of A Crazy Fox". Maybe the little child in me prefers something fun and light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! What a surprise. Thanks, Stephanie, for taking a chance on a genre you've not read before. If you continue the series, I think you'll like the next two even better.
    SK will be real pleased with her review as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! It was a blast. And I can't wait to see what you'll write next!

      Delete
  3. I've read CassaStar and I'd like to read the rest. I look forward to your Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would also be interested in reading Confession of a Crazy Fox. It sounds interesting. Right now I'm reading a book that was given as a gift to my husband and I by the author, Jean- Marie Denning, an acquaintance of ours. It's called Jingle Bell Disorder. It about the doing, the undoing and the overdoing of Christmas.

    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jingle Bell Disorder...I like the sound of that one! We're about to be bombarded with Christmas stuff.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the support! Now I'm off to find the other books mentioned here. I'm always eager to read books recommended by you! Your suggestions save me from searching endlessly through the so-so books out there in order to find the gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a LOT of books out there...and not nearly enough time to search through them all to find the great ones.

      Delete
  6. I've read some stinkers this month.....nothing good to report!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG you're the best!

    Funny enough I just finished a FANTASTIC tween book titled 30 Days of No Gossip! I have to squeeze time to write a review, but it will be up before end of week. I'm looking forward to checking out the other books—such an honor to be in the same line up! I read CassaStar and thought it was great as well, I have the other two books waiting to be read . . . can't wait to binge read them AND 25 Roses is teasing me too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Thank you, S.K. I wanted to talk to you while I was reading the book and say, "You'd better get X and X together at the end. They BELONG together!" Don't want to give anything away, but I think you know the two people I mean!

      Delete
  8. haven't; read anything this month, too busy with work! Going to our biggest BookFair tomorrow, with hundreds of thousands of visitors :) Hope my hand won't hurt too much from signing the books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun! Hopefully you'll get to meet a lot of great people.

      Delete
  9. Great review of your reads. I've only read 3 books this past month. I've been busy with other stuff.

    I love a book that takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotions. Those are the best books.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you live an adventurous life. I enjoy following along.

      Delete
  10. Hi Steohanie....
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I could read as much as you do.... Never seems to be enough time ....

    These books look great! And, when I settle after the rehab from hell, I will relax and read a good book again...

    Happy Hallween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were moving, I got my book fix by listening to audiobooks. I'm nothing if not determined.

      Delete
  11. Wow! How do you find the time? I'm lucky if I can get one or two books read in a year. (Though I did read one of yours this year, so there's that). There are a few other bloggers who's books I'm trying to finish at the time too, I've been wanting to add one of Alex's too because I love sci.fi.
    Then, of course, there is finding time to get my own writing done. I seriously need to better manage my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read on the treadmill every day...and to get my 10,000 steps in a day, that usually means at least 50 minutes on the treadmill!

      Delete
  12. I'm editing for clients and I have to say they are very talented. I love getting to read their work before everyone else. It makes me feel special. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has to be the best part of being an editor. Reading all the bad submissions in the slush pile? The worst part!

      Delete
  13. That's quite a selection you feature this month. The 'just Your Average' box-set looks really good, something my friends daughters would love.

    My favourite October read would have to be Gregory Funaro's Alistair Grim's Odditorium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's YA, but FUN YA, so teens will love it.

      Delete
  14. How wonderful for you to have the time to read! This month has been busier than most, but kids and I are nearly finished with 'A Wrinkle in Time' and soon I should be able to get back to reading my own ever growing stack, which just expanded with your intriguing reviews - thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! So many great books. It's been a slow month for me--more critiquing and editing than reading. I did finish Madeline Summonte-Mora's new collection. I also read East of the Sun by Lee Strauss and am in the middle of two other books. Oh, and I read one book to the kids, but I can't remember which.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read all of Alex's books. He certainly is a talented writer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved hearing about all of these books. And must read the talented (and supportive) Alex's work. Sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm jealous of your list this month--lots of good ones! I have a few of these on my list I need a few solid reading weeks to get to!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the round-up on these great books, interesting plots!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for this list. All the books sound good, I'm adding to my to-read pile.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did get some real winners in for the month. I love Space Opera so I'll have to check that one out and I already added The Holler Witch to the list after your intro post the other day.

    I read a boatload of books this month with probably a dozen that could be names as favs. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is indeed an awesome line up of books.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm finishing up your recommendation, Six Years. I love Harlan Coben!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like my spooky kinda tinged down, so The Holler Witch sounds like about my speed. =) The scariest book I've read in a long time was Long Lankin. Ohmygoodness. Have you heard of that one? It gave me the creeps so bad!!! Like turn on the lights, b/c I know somethings waiting on me in the dark bad. =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like my spooky kinda tinged down, so The Holler Witch sounds like about my speed. =) The scariest book I've read in a long time was Long Lankin. Ohmygoodness. Have you heard of that one? It gave me the creeps so bad!!! Like turn on the lights, b/c I know somethings waiting on me in the dark bad. =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stephanie, thanks so much for featuring my memoir, Confessions Of A Crazy Fox in this list of interesting sounding books. I haven't been on social media much lately and just found this post. I hope to get back to blogging and writing more in the near future. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The best book I read this month would be about Anne Frank's family! I love the cover of Confessions of a Crazy Fox! :)

    In response to your comment on my blog about the poll, I don't think it is biased at all, because if people are honest they will choose what they prefer best no matter where they are. I have a Facebook account and have mentioned many times how I prefer my blog! LOL! I wonder if Mark Zuckerberg has seen my comments. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It hasn't been a great book month for me. But that's okay. There's always November.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great list of books. They all sound good. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Stephanie,

    Awesome list of books and it's all good to see in the list, a number of my starstruck writing fans :) Superbly reviewed and thanks.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how you support other bloggers and their books, self-published and small press included. I know how thrilled I was when I found my own book on your list, and I'm sure these authors feel the same.

    Best book I read this month? Sadly, there haven't been many great ones, but I loved Haunted Heart, a biography of Stephen King. I also really enjoyed Winterwood by JG Faherty.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oooh! Some really good choices. I bought CassaStar, but have yet to read it. I'm behind on my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, busy bee! I'm getting backed up, but you're always a great inspiration in getting me back to readying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the cover of Static. I've been reading a few books but I haven't gotten around to writing reviews yet. (Soon, fingers crossed.) It looks like you had a good mix of reading. Way to go. Hope you get lots of good treats on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sounds great, all these books even if not all of them fall under the genre I read. What I especially like is how blogging and mingling with fellow bloggers can lead us to discovering more good books. I finished reading a fantastic 'How-to'book on watercolours this month. An abundance of suggestions on techniques without drying us readers out. How rare is that from how-to books?

    ReplyDelete
  37. That Average Box Set sounds great for Amara and her friends! Christmas is coming! As for reading -- I somehow started reading Zombie Ohio: A Tale of the Undead and I am loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the book recommendations and the intro to authors new to me. The best book I've read this month was Dumplin' by Julie Murphy (YA). Sorry not to notice your comment on my review of Tonight the Streets Are Ours until now. September was crazy busy. So nice to connect!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Awesome that you got to read so many great books in October. I have some of these on my list already. So many wonderful books. :)

    ReplyDelete