Monday, September 07, 2015

Where in the World? (Is Carmen Sandiego): Guest Post by Meradeth Houston

I love time-travel stories. I remember watching movies like The Philadelphia Experiment as a kid and thinking, "How cool would it be to be able to travel to a different time?"

My fascination with time travel has continued as an adult, so it's exciting to see one of my favorite bloggers, Meradeth Houston, has a new time travel book out. Today she is writing about her own childhood fascination with time travel. Be sure to check out information on her book, Travelers, which you can buy now for only $0.99!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Where in the World? (Is Carmen Sandiego)
by Meradeth Houston

Okay, to start off, please tell me I’m not the only one who played the “Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego” games? I loved those as a kid! The show was fun and I loved the computer games. They were slow and clunky and ridiculously primitive, but I got a kick out of them (which probably says a lot more about my childhood nerd-factor than I care to admit…). Anyhow, we also had the where in TIME is Carmen Sandiego, which is probably where my fascination with time travel began. And it’s never really gone away, because there are just so many cool things I’d love to go see!

There are plenty of people in the past that would be seriously fascinating to talk with (hello Gregor Mendel, my all-time historical crush, even if he was a monk…and probably ate too many peas). But the places and events also really attract me. I mean, I’d love to go back and experience a few things, so long as I got to come back for dinner ☺. Wouldn’t a walk through the libraries of Alexandria be fun? Or how about watching a ceremony at Stonehenge? The completion of the pyramids at Giza? I could go on and on. But that’s why I like time-travel as a concept—it allows me to imagine going back and getting to see these things, which is probably as close as I’ll ever get without a TARDIS.

Okay, confession time: what event would you most want to witness in all time if you could? If I could only pick one, it certainly wouldn’t be easy. But I’d love to watch Mendel figure out that what he was seeing in his plants had much larger implications for heritability (I did say I was a nerd, right?). Buuuut, the coronation of Queen Victoria (not from the cheap seats) would also be pretty fun ☺.





Blurb:

Sienna Crenshaw knows the rules: 1) no time traveling beyond your natural lifetime, 2) no screwing with death, and 3) no changing the past. Ever. Sienna doesn’t love being stuck in the present, but she’s not the type to to break the rules. That is, she wasn’t the type until her best friend broke every one of those rules to keep Henry, her twin brother and Sienna’s ex-boyfriend, alive. 

Suddenly, Sienna is caught in an unfamiliar reality. The upside? Henry is still alive. The downside? Sienna’s old life, including the people in it, has been erased. Now, Sienna and Henry must untangle the giant knot in time, or her parents and all the rest of the Travelers, will be lost forever. One problem: the only way to be successful is for Henry to die. 

Pick up a copy here!

Bio:

I've never been a big fan of talking about myself, but if you really want to know, here are some random tidbits about me: 


  • I'm a California girl. This generally means I talk too fast and use "like" a lot. 
  • I have my doctorate in molecular anthropology. Translation: I sequence dead people's DNA and spend a whole lot of time in a lab, which I love. 
  • I've been writing since I was 11 years old. It's my hobby, my passion, and I'm so happy to get to share my work! 
  • My other passion is teaching. There's nothing more fun than getting a classroom of college kids fired up about anthropology! 
  • If I could have a super-power, it would totally be flying. Which is a little strange, because I'm terrified of heights.
Contact info:

48 comments:

  1. I admit to struggling with books with a time travel theme. Not that that stops me from reading them from time to time in the hope that something will click and all of a sudden I'll get it. Great piece, thank you for featuring a book I'm several of my friends would love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when a book has a character going back and forth in time too much, I get confused!

      Delete
    2. I've been seriously confused by time-travel books, too! (Even writing them ;) It gets knotty pretty quick sometimes, but I really do try to keep it simple :)

      Delete
  2. The old computer game was rather clunky, but we played anyway.
    I'd want to go back and see any of the miracles Jesus performed. Or better yet, see him after His resurrection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never played that game, so it's new to me! That would be amazing to see, but I wouldn't want to stay in any time that didn't have bathrooms and electricity for long.

      Delete
    2. I'm with Stephanie--no bathrooms or electricity and I'm only interesting in being there shortly!

      Delete
  3. Time travel has always interested me also because I have always been a history buff. I admit, I loved the Back To The Future movies also. Trying to think of just one time I would like to visit is difficult but think I would like to go back to the time of Jesus to find out what the "real" message was. Also, to the day before President Kennedy was assassinated to his parade in Houston my boss wouldn't let me have an extra hour off at lunch to see because he was a Republican. When I got back from lunch that day and heard the news, he did let me take the rest of the afternoon off. I went home and typed up my resignation. I'll check out Meredith's book on Amazon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read the Stephen King book where the guy travels back in time to the JFK assassination? It's being made into a TV series. It's called 11/22/63.

      Delete
    2. Interesting story!! That would definitely make for an interesting trip!

      Delete
  4. I used to watch Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego reruns on TV, but it was a few years after the computer game.

    Honestly, there are way too many things I'd want to experience in the past (as you say, if I could be back in time for dinner.) Which is probably why I keep writing about history in some form or another. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I THOUGHT it was a TV show! I never even realized it was a game until reading this post. Yes, writing about history is a great way to time travel and still be back home in time for dinner.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I should have mentioned the show :) Yeah, it was on PBS for me, and I loved it! The games were a spin-off from that.

      Delete
  5. I somehow missed this show, but I heard a lot about it. I don't know what event I'd pick, but I always wanted to explore the '60s and '70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those would be really cool decades!

      Delete
  6. I'd like to hop back for ten seconds and see the dinosaurs, but only ten seconds so I didn't become dino chow haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Exactly!! And don't step on any butterflies, right? :)

      Delete
  7. Best of luck with the new book! I'd like to go back in time to see my ancestors--grandparents, the great-grandparents. It was be quite a thrill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be really cool! I'd definitely love to hear more of their stories!

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for helping me spread the word here again!! Much appreciated, and hope you're having a great long weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to be part of your tour. Can't wait to read the book!

      Delete
  9. Omg I loved that game! Played it on a black and white Mac! First computers of the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I played this on my first computer too--I can't remember if it was in color or not, but it was pretty dang primitive!

      Delete
  10. Oh I love time travel books, movies and TV shows. This book sounds great and very sad because the one must die. Where would I go? I can't choose just one-that is horrible:) I think of 3 like 3 wishes. I would travel to be on board the Titanic. I would travel to Germany in the 1930's not because of the horrors that are in power but to see the great buildings and places before they were destroyed and to meet my mom and her family when she was young. The 3rd would be to travel to 1916 and be in Barry's Bay, Ontario to meet my dad when he was a little boy but also to meet my grandmother who died in 1919 after childbirth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of these choices! They would definitely be interesting to visit!

      Delete
  11. Oooh. Congratulations to Meradeth. That sounds truly intriguing.
    I think I would like to spend some time watching Leonardo da Vinci at work. Artist, scientist, musician, cartographer, inventor...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of visiting him, too! I just wasn't sure if I could pick an exact moment to visit. He would certainly be really fascinating to get to know!

      Delete
  12. The time travel question is a hard one for me because I'm glad I am where I am today and had I been further back, I would have been one of those women thrown in jail for demanding my equal rights. lol

    However, I would have loved to be of the romantic age in the 60's, but that's when I was actually born. It there weren't the whole Vietnam War looming over that era it would have been the MOST romantic I believe. I love the songs and the clothing just before it got really hippy-ish in the 70s. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I've thought this myself! That's what a visit is for--a quick trip to check it out, then leave before having to deal with that pesky reality!

      Delete
  13. I came along before computer games, but remember being intrigued with time travel in some of Kurt Vonnegut's novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has some awesome, and harrowing, stories about it!

      Delete
  14. I'd only travel into future, never into past

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally fair! I'd love to see the future, too!

      Delete
  15. Sounds like a nail bitter book. Yikes. I love those kind of books.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved The Outlander series. I would only want to travel to the future. I'd make a terrible pioneer or anything prior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yeah, definitely don't make me walk across the Plains! Outlander is absolutely a favorite of mine :)

      Delete
  17. I remember Carmen Sandiego. I was just beyond the age range for it, but I liked playing anyway as it was easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I can totally understand that! :)

      Delete
  18. Loved this post by Meradeth. I totally remember the show- but don't recall the video game. Hmmm- sounds interesting though (especially the one about where he was in time). It would be hard to pick something in the past to go an observe because there are SO many cool possibilities. I really need to think about this in case I am ever given the chance to time travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with spending lots of time thinking about it, I still don't know if I'd ever be able to pick just one time!

      Delete
  19. I don't recall the that game either but I used to watch Dr Who.
    I'd love to go back in time provided I was back here in time to sleep in my own comfy bed, lol. I'd love to see my grandmothers as children and meet their parents and siblings. I know very little about both my grandmothers. I think that I would like to find out how they lived and get a taste of that era and come back to my comfort.
    It sounds like an intriguing book.

    Best of luck with your new book Meradeth.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia! And Dr. Who also has a ton of great time travel concepts to tinker with--it's one of my favorites!

      Delete
  20. I do remember watching Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego :) It was cute and fun! Not sure where I would want to time travel if I could only pick one place; so many options to choose from!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  21. I played that game too, and watched the TV show! :) I don't know where I'd want to go back in time. Something wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a really awesome topic and the blurb is good. I don't know that I'd choose any particular event in history to be a part of or to see, but I would love to go back to the 50's to experience the movies being made, the colorful furniture and cooking of the era. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  23. It brings back childhood memories. :)
    But oh, this time traveling stories. How intriguing. This story especially I'm sure is filled with surprises that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic post, Stephanie! I am a big fan of time travel. My all time favourite film as a youngster was "The Two LIves of Jenny Logan" with Lindsay Wagner. And I lvoed reading the Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

    I will most definitely give Meradeth's book a read. And I love her passion for life.

    A very inspirational Bio, Meradeth. Thanks for sharing!! Lots of luck and continued fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Time travel is a favorite subject of mine, too. It's one of those daytime fantasies I used to have when I should have been paying attention in middle school (and a hundred other venues).

    I'd like to read this one!

    ReplyDelete