Friday, June 12, 2015

Introducing An Absence of Light By Meradeth Houston

Today I'm part of an exciting blog tour for our blogging friend, Meradeth Houston.



Meradeth's book, An Absence of Light, is now available in eBook and paperback.

From the first page, Meradeth grabs you with her powerful, intense storytelling. When Leah's entire family is killed, she has to go on the run, but there's no escaping the shadows. They've haunted her throughout her life, but while on the road, she meets two people who also see the creatures. Working with them, she works hard to find a way to get rid of the creatures before they can kill anyone else. The story draws you in and doesn't let you go but what really resonated with me was Leah. Meradeth created a character with depth, giving us a kick-butt character with just enough vulnerability to make us fall in love with her. 

Scroll down to read more about Meradeth's book, which you can buy here.



Blurb:

Leah’s always seen the shadow creatures. She thought she was immune to their evil—until now. 

She’s walked into a massacre, stolen a BMW, and is running from the law for a crime she didn’t commit. Nineteen-year-old Leah’s life just went from mildly abnormal to totally crazy at lightning speed. But no one will believe that the shadow creatures are framing her for the murder, because she’s the only one that can see them. At least that’s what she thought. 

When Leah stumbles across a group who share her ability, she discovers they have something she doesn’t: a way to fight back. When the group offers to teach her how to kill the shadow creatures, Leah jumps at the chance. But something is brewing with the creatures. They’re tracking down the hunters like there’s no tomorrow. Leah suspects that maybe there won’t be, and it’s up to her to make sure tomorrow comes. Because she’ll do anything to stop the shadows, including risking her life—and the life of the one she loves—to keep the world from being lost to darkness forever.



Bio:

I've never been a big fan of talking about myself, but if you really want to know, here are some random tidbits about me: 


  • I'm a California girl. This generally means I talk too fast and use "like" a lot. 
  • I have my doctorate in molecular anthropology. Translation: I sequence dead people's DNA and spend a whole lot of time in a lab, which I love. 
  • I've been writing since I was 11 years old. It's my hobby, my passion, and I'm so happy to get to share my work! 
  • My other passion is teaching. There's nothing more fun than getting a classroom of college kids fired up about anthropology! 
  • If I could have a super-power, it would totally be flying. Which is a little strange, because I'm terrified of heights.
Contact info:

63 comments:

  1. I like it when the author can grab my attention from the start. Even though I stay away from scary books or movies, you make it sound intriguing. I think that young people would really enjoy reading this book and maybe some older readers too.
    A great book review.

    Congratulations to Maradeth on her new book.
    Hugs.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary, but not violent. I can't take the violent stuff anymore, either. If someone's being tortured, I have to stop watching/reading. This book was scary without being graphic about it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, JB! It's not *too* scary, promise ;)

      Delete
  2. Congrats to Meradeth, not only an author but a scientist. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I know many authors who are also scientists.

      Delete
    2. lol, there are a few of us around :) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. congrats to the author!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the book sounds interesting and with her background, she would have be able to provide those details that makes for a good read. Congratulatons, Meradeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know--what a super-smart author she is! I'm impressed by her bio.

      Delete
    2. One of these days I'm going to learn how to capitalize off my weirdness of being both an author and scientist. Gotta figure that one out ;) Thanks, Sage! :)

      Delete
  5. Yay for Meradeth! That opening scene with her family dying was super intense and well done. Is it weird that I'm saying murder was well done? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, we didn't have to endure the scene of them being killed... She artfully handled it in a way that was gripping and emotional without being violent.

      Delete
    2. LOL! Totally not weird to say that...about a book ;) Thanks, Leandra!!

      Delete
  6. Great review, Stephanie! This sounds like one intense read!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love Meradeth and her books :) super exciting. And on LI we say "Like" WAY too much too lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I totally have to curb the valley girl some days. Like, totally! ;)

      Delete
  8. Congrats Meradeth, sequencing DNA, wow that is impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! Trust me, it's easier than it looks :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a great read and you're an awesome person to feature other authors work. That rocks.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie is definitely awesome, that's for sure!!

      Delete
  10. Stephanie, seriously, YOU ROCK!! Thank you so much for your support, awesome review, and everything!! Hugs and ice cream for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream! I'll take it. It was an honor to be a part of your tour and I really did love the book!

      Delete
  11. You always bring interesting books and authors here, Stephanie. And, a PhD in molecular anthropology speaks volumes about Meradeth's intelligence level!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous cover! Very intriguing plot-line; I look forward to checking it out. Congratulations, Meradeth! By the way, I really like how you spell your name-- I've never seen it spelled that way before, super cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I regularly thank my parents for the random spelling--it's very phonetic, but spell check hates it, lol!

      Delete
  13. I love the book cover. Congrats on the new book,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a really compelling story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that I am introduced to new books and authors here in the blogosphere. I hate that I am introduced to new books and authors here in the blogosphere because my weak willed bookaholic self succumbs to their wiles so often. Thank you, drat you and congratulations Meradeth.
    And how I would love to fly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol!! I hear ya on this--my reading list is far too long!!

      Delete
  16. Thank you for this post! I'll add it to my summer reading list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you get a chance to check it out :)

      Delete
  17. What an interesting field she has her doctorate in! Sounds like a good book too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! It's a pretty fun field, but I'm biased ;)

      Delete
  18. Sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed Absence of Light. Those shadows were creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Medeia! So glad you enjoyed it!!

      Delete
  20. The cover just makes me want to see what's inside. Thanks for the review. An intriguing story idea. Congratulations, Meradeth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a great book! I HAVE to find more time to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you there! I wish there were more reading hours in the day :)

      Delete
  22. Meradeth is really good! Congrats to her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Guess who's in my show today... You may know her very well....

    ReplyDelete
  24. This book sounds right up my alley! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get a chance to check it out :)

      Delete
  25. Congratulations to Meradeth!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Meradeth, congratulations... this book does sound intriguing... a little scary but I like that kind of book and I want a strong heroine.. It sounds really good xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Launna! It's not too scary, promise ;)

      Delete
  27. This sounds like a keeper. Wishing you all the best on this.

    Hey, Steph:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow. The cover really grabs the eye so to speak.

    ReplyDelete