Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Guest Post: 5 Things You Should Know About Ten Thousand Days

It's a busy week in the blogging world. Today I'm welcoming C.D. Gallant, who is telling us five things we should know about his new book, Ten Thousand Days. Check out this beautiful cover:




Here's his post. Be sure to read all about him below his guest post and order a copy today!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My debut novella Ten Thousand Days is now available as an eBook on Amazon sites worldwide. A contemporary fantasy, it's the story of Isaac, a young Everyman and regular guy who just seems to stumble through life and is somehow married to the most beautiful girl in the world. He doesn't appreciate what he has until everything is taken away and he's thrust into a weird and horrific otherworld as he desperately tries to regain his lost love.

You can read the blurb anywhere, but I'm here today to give you a bit more detail and insight on what the book really is and what you can expect for taking the chance with me.

1. It is probably not what you're expecting

The biggest feedback I've gotten about Ten Thousand Days so far is "That's not what I was expecting at all." The blurb and the first few chapters seem to set something up, but the story skews in a drastically different direction in the second act. Part of the surprise is because I've been purposefully vague about plot details hoping to avoid revealing too many spoilers. Another part of it may be because I just didn't write a very good blurb.

Either way, hopefully the rest of this list will better prepare your expectations. 

Do away with your preconceptions. Be open-minded. And be ready for a crazy ride...

2. It is funny 

I have a weird sense of humour. My favourite authors are Terry Pratchett and Kurt Vonnegut, plus I hold a special place for Douglas Adams and Christopher Moore. That's the style of humour I aim for. Do I hit it? Maybe not on their illustrious level, but I've been told there's a chuckle or two.

That being said, Ten Thousand Days is not a comedy. It has equal parts heartbreak and melancholy. I tried to balance the comedy and the tragedy because I think that's the way both work best - humour in sadness, sorrow in joy, hand in hand, together always. Much like Isaac and his wife Clementine are *supposed* to be. 

3. It is a fantasy

Not "Lord of the Rings" fantasy, more of a Neil Gaiman style modern-fantasy. I really tried to go for an “American Gods” or “Neverwhere” type of vibe. 

Those of you who pick this up expecting fantasy shouldn’t be surprised if you don't see any magic and wonder right away. It starts pretty mundane, but trust me, it gets fantastical as the story progresses. There will be wizards and monsters and time travel and probably a dragon. But that's how fantasy works right? By contrasting the weird against the normal? Ten Thousand Days certainly strives to do that. Things get extra weird and surreal when juxtaposed against the normalcy of every day... 

4. It is a fairy tale 

It's certainly based on a fairy tale, anyway. While not an exact re-telling of the story of Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty), I do borrow liberally from that tale. There's a quest and battle between good and evil and it contains many of the same tropes like dragons and magic swords. There's even one scene toward the middle that wouldn't be out of place in the Disney version (well, except for the swearing... and the blood). At its heart it's the story of a young man going on an adventure, but it's also a lot more than that.

5. It is a love story

Ten Thousand Days is listed under several categories on Amazon, "romance" being one of them. Which it is technically a love story, the categorization is also a little misleading. It's not a "Romance" in the traditional sense of the genre. Maybe it's just my own perception, but when I think of a "Romance Novel," I picture stuff like Harlequin, "bodice rippers" and erotica, which Ten Thousand Days is certainly not. If anything, my book is more of a Romance in the sense that Wuthering Heights in a romance - not that I'm comparing my book to Wuthering Heights, because my wife would slap me if I did - it's more about passion and death and longing and desperation. It's no English literary classic, but it definitely has more in common with gothic romanticism than "Hired by the Cowboy" or "Waking Up Married."


Bio:

Writer, gamer, pro-wrestling aficionado. Dad.

I claim to write stories, but really I just find them in The Closet, dust them off, add a few commas and send them out into the world.

Proudly Canadian, born and raised in Newfoundland, fine-tuned and educated in Toronto and currently residing in Ottawa with a beautiful wife, two wonderful children and various furry four-legged companions.






Contact info:

72 comments:

  1. At the heart of most stories there is a love story. It does sound unique, CD. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sir! I like being unique. I am like a snowflake - delicate, one of a kind, a speck of dust covered in ice particles.

      Delete
  2. This does sound intersting and a book I would like... I like different with a twist... Good luck with the book xox ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very twisty. I wrote the thing and even I have no idea how it will end!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations and even if a book isn't written for humor, it does help to have some humor sprinkled in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but humour in my writing. Life is dreary and meaningless without it. I can be writing the most tense, serious scene, and suddenly be compelled to throw in a fart joke. Seriously, I should probably get help for this.

      Delete
  4. A gallant and and a king at the same time... bravo I say, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how much I wanted to name my son "Sir" or "Lord."

      Delete
  5. Sure sounds like it has it all, love, humor and being unexpected to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't forget flesh-eating time monsters. The flesh-eating time monsters are important.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! I agonized over it for a long time. It looked absolutely nothing like what I requested from the designer, but he knew what he was doing. Hopefully it won't show up on lousybookcovers.com.

      Delete
  7. The eyes in the background on the cover really add an eerie touch to it. Well done!

    Based off your points, Ten Thousand Days sounds like a book I'd like.

    Congratulations, C.D.! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't leave your computer on with the cover on the screen. The eyes will open when you're not looking and follow you around the room.

      Delete
  8. Does sound like an interesting theme/plot, good luck with it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I make my own luck. It's mostly made of fevered prayers and duct-tape.

      Delete
  9. You had me at Terry Pratchett. That's my humour and who doesn't love surprising twists? Going to snag my copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I should know better than to compare myself to Terry Pratchett, however obliquely. Now I have performance anxiety.

      Hope you like it!

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for your encouragement :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome? I'm glad I can be a positive influence, but I have no idea what I did. :-)

      Delete
  11. Wow! I'm really intrigued! Oddly enough the first thing I thought of when I read the blurb about this book was Neil Gaiman. I loved his Neverwhere. And Douglas Adams has always been one of my biggest inspirations. And then there is the other very interesting thing. Adams and Gaiman have both written my favourite episodes of Doctor Who. So I will certainly be checking this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another interesting thing is that for the past three weeks I've been chasing Neil Gaiman on the top ranked Contemporary Fantasy category on the Canadian Amazon site. It's not that impressive (I'm competing against his books that are 20 years old), but I did edge out American Gods by one spot for a couple of hours last week!

      If you do check it out, I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  12. I love twisty and a happy ending. That's the sign of a great book to me.

    May you be most successful. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never said it had a happy ending. Traditional fairy tales often had brutally horrible endings.

      I'm not saying it doesn't have a happy ending, either. I'm just not saying it doesn't not have a potentially satisfying conclusion that may or may not be possibly construed as "happy."

      Delete
  13. It's always fun when a book isn't quite what you're expecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you're expecting it to be good and it turns out to be spectacularly awful.

      I hope my book isn't one of those.

      Delete
  14. Comedy is hard to do. Harder than drama. But when it grows out of the story, it can be magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to say I write comedy well, but I find it comes way more naturally than drama. "Drama," at least the way I write it, always comes across as hackneyed and insincere.

      Wait, probably not the best thing to be saying while trying to convince you to buy my book...

      Delete
  15. Pratchett, Adams, Moore, Gaiman AND fairy tales? Right up my (very broad) alley. Off to Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rowling! Hemingway! Steinbeck! Grisham! Seuss!

      If I keep adding names will you buy more copies!

      (Seriously, one is good, thank you so much!)

      Delete
  16. Sounds like my kind of story. Will have to take a look. Love your sense of humor too, which makes the book even more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm working on my Dad humour. I've got a couple of kids I need to make cringe and embarrass for years to come.

      Delete
  17. So glad Stephanie is headlining you here. Congrats on the book and it sounds unique and quite inviting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie has been a peach. I hope my book hasn't gone too far against her sensibilities. I feel a bit out of place around all the pink and cute cartoon girls, but I am certainly appreciative of her giving me this platform.

      Delete
    2. Not at all! I just finished The Stranger by Harlan Coben and I'm reading Stephen King now!

      Delete
    3. Okay, good, as long as I'm not clashing too much with the decor.

      Delete
  18. Sounds like fun. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing is not fun. It's hard, serious work and can only be performed by...

      Oh wait you mean the book. Yeah the book is pretty amusing. Thanks!

      Delete
  19. Awesome cover. It sounds like this novella has many great elements to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind. Honestly it's all downhill after the cover, but I'm hoping the artwork will trick a few people into buying it. Judging a book, and all that.

      Delete
  20. Hey Stephanie and C.D.,

    Intriguing cover and I see a really big lady hovering in the background of the cover. It does seem you have a wide range of authors you like to read. I've no doubt that your book is amusing with a bit of Canadian irony somewhere within your writing.

    Take care and all this best with your book, eh. Yes, I shall duly take the liberty of sharing this post.

    Thank you, Stephanie, for bringing this awareness of CD.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Canadian irony?" I think that's the nicest thing anyone had said about the book yet! Of course, you haven't actually read it, so maybe that's just stereotypical Canadian politeness.

      But yeah, if I can capture the national Canadian sense of humour (yes, it's a thing!) that would be a huge accomplishment.

      Delete
  21. Thanks for the intro to CD, Stephanie.

    Finding a good author who also can write with humor is always a reward for me. It is not the easiest thing to do, and I have read some writers who can't seem to pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'm not one of those writers. The ones who can't pull it off, I mean. Hopefully I'm one of the funny ones.

      Delete
  22. This looks INCREDIBLE! Can't wait to check it out. Amen to it being a busy week in the blogging world--I'm already exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I've been busy! Being incredible takes a lot of work. Not quite as much as Amazing, but definitely more than being Remarkable.

      If you understand that reference you are a huge geek.

      And no, I'm not generally so full of myself. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  23. Congratulations CD. Ten Thousand Days sounds like something I would want to read. I am going to check it on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check it out. Get to know it. Perhaps it will become a close friend, that will sit and listen to your problems late at night. Maybe one day you'll have a falling out and be thrust into a raging, terrible argument where names will be called, dishes will be thrown and feelings will be hurt. A wedge will be driven between you and you won't speak again for years. Then one day, out of the blue, Ten Thousand Days will be there for you when you need it again. In the end, it recognizes the power of friendship.

      Delete
  24. Replies
    1. Knowledge is power.

      The power to choose a fun book to read.

      Delete
  25. Looks great indeed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been sharing like a madman for the past few weeks. My Tweeting fingers are nearly falling off...

      Delete
  26. Modern-fantasy sounds good and that's an attractive cover. Congratulations on the release, C.D.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty sexy cover, isn't it? I would totally pick that up at a bar. If I wasn't married or otherwise committed to a long-term relationship.

      Delete
  27. Your peek into the storyline is intriguing; I need to get this. Congrats on your debut!

    Great cover, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all you get, a peek. No spoilers here, no sirree.

      Actually it's incredibly difficult to do these promos and blurbs without revealing any plot spoilers. Maybe I should just start making up stuff to tell people for blog hops.

      Delete
  28. The cover is so striking it drew me in right away. I also loved finding out more about the book from the author. I could get a feel for his voice from his list and explanations. I think this sounds like a great read and I will be looking for it. Congrats to C.D. Gallant-King!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey if you like finding out details (and even behind the scenes stuff!) stay tuned, I've got plenty more blog-hops planned!

      Delete
  29. I think it's great that your book surprises people. And I love that it's under different categories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all over the place in the Amazon categories. At one point it was rated in Romance > Fantasy, Futuristic & Ghosts. That was CERTAINLY not what I was picturing when I wrote it. :-/

      Delete
  30. Captivating cover and hope to get around reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hopes you get around to reading it soon, too. It gets lonely sitting in Amazon's digital warehouse, with nothing and no one to talk to but pixels and bytes.

      Delete
  31. this sounds fascinating and I love when stories aren't what they seem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you think it's fascinating, then hopefully it's exactly what it seems!

      Delete
  32. You've got a great self-awareness that isn't found too often in the artistic world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean the fact that I know is suck and I'm not afraid to say it?

      My mother always taught me to be humble.

      Delete
  33. What a fun introduction to this novel! It definitely makes me look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well from what I understand, I hear it's available at fine online retailers like Amazon and Kobobooks. And it's cheaper than a venti Frappucino!

      Delete
  34. I enjoyed the read, entertainment and introduction. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  35. My sole purpose is to entertain you. Yes YOU, jack69.

    I will be at your place tomorrow night at 8:00 to perform a violin concerto. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love Christopher Moore! I need to get more of his books, I just hadn't had the time. I enjoyed Fool: A Novel in audio book format. Great story and funny as hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fool is good, but some of his other stuff is even better. Lamb is one of my favourite books ever, period.

      Delete