Friday, November 28, 2014

The Cephalopod Coffehouse: Best Books of November

Today I'm participating in the monthly meeting of the Cephalopod Coffeehouse, where we sign up to write about the best book we've read this month.



This month I read more than one great book, so I'm going to recap ALL the great books I read this month. The first was The Curse of the Granville Fortune by our friend Kelly Hashway:




I grew up reading the books in the Nancy Drew series and the title reminded me of the classic stories I read as a child. But this book is much, much better. From page one, the story pulls you in and the action doesn't let up until you reach the final page. I highly recommend it!

The second was this fantabulous book by another great blogger friend, Medeira Sharif:




The Attic of Sand and Secrets tells the story of a young learning disabled girl whose mother is kidnapped. Not only is Lily inspiring, the book takes you on a fun adventure that includes a magical trip that happens every time she visits the attic in her closet. Plus, is it just me, or is there something about the fantasy of having a secret bedroom passageway that just seems so magical to a young reader?

The third book was The Good Sister by Jamie Kain. Jamie was in my very first critique group, which I think was on AOL. Yes, it was that long ago. After a successful career as a romance novelist, Jamie is setting the young adult world on fire with this book:




I love stories like 13 Reasons Why and If I Stay. The Good Sister reminded me of that. It's that same level of awesome! One sister dies and in the aftermath, her surviving sisters must deal with their own imperfections. Jamie has created relatable characters and a riveting plot and I know we'll see many, many more books from her. 


What's the best book you read in November? Feel free to add your link to the list below if you'd like to join in on your own blog!

40 comments:

  1. I read a great young adult book this month.....Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we'll all get some great book suggestions from the comments!

      Delete
  2. An interesting idea... I didn't read any young adult books this month, but enjoyed Robert Laxalt memoir, "Travels with my Royal" and Larry Brown's last book (which is not finished), "A Miracle of Catfish" I'll probably finish by tomorrow Debra Dean's "The Mirrored World"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I always tell people I rarely get to read grown-up books anymore. Even the YA books I read this month were a rarity. I read a lot of middle grade and chapter books to be able to stay in that mindset...but I consider reading MG and chapter books a privilege!

      Delete
  3. the last one has a nice cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful? It looks like a poster you'd want to hang on your wall.

      Delete
  4. All three books sound great. My daughter loves mysteries so that first one might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll love it. Every page is packed with action.

      Delete
    2. Agatha Christie is her current favorite.

      Delete
  5. These all seemed like good reads! I might have to check some of them out. This is awful, I have read consistently this month but can I remember what I have read? Nothing earth shattering and some predictable books. I am reading Gone Girl right now and I'm at the part (without giving away the plot) that you know what happened, but now you wonder how it is all going to end.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the part that really got me when I read it. I've been told by those who saw the movie without reading the book that it doesn't have the same impact as the book did. After seeing the movie, I think it might be because Ben Affleck is just a little too likable in the role.

      Delete
  6. Sound like winners indeed. The first one has a really done artwork cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I love all these covers. I'm a bit of a cover connoisseur.

      Delete
  7. These all sound like great books and yes, that last one has a gorgeous cover. As for the magic closet...oh, boy, how many times did I go into my own closet as a child and hope that maybe, just this once, the back wall wouldn't be there and instead I'd feel the crunch of snow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the type of thing that makes for perfect fiction.

      Delete
  8. I have Kelly's book at the top in my Kindle app to read soon.

    Thank you so much for reviewing my book. :)

    The last one looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing these, Stephanie. I don't normally read YA but I think I'll have to put Kelly's book on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, my reading doesn't fall into this type of books, but my favorite book was Mean Streak by Sandra Brown. Gripping storyline.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely to have read three great books this month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These all sound great, I will have to check them out more if you liked them so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. these sound fantastic. I have been struggling with finding something I can connect with lately--been very frustrated with my current pile! My favorite so far this month was the third installment of Harlan Coben's YA series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the bookie temptation. I have seen so much about Medeia's book - and all of it good I can see I will have to succumb.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have been a busy reader and they sound great. I love secret passage ways or a hidden place in the bedroom-I still dream about trying to do that in my home

    ReplyDelete
  16. They all look and sound like excellent reads. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a good month of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for the kind words! It means a lot coming from such a talented writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been seeing the attic one mentioned a lot, lately. I have to say that I really like the title.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Attics and secret passages are cool. My book for November is The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  21. All the three books sound great.
    But I would really like to try the 2nd one.
    It seems quite interesting too

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh that's some nice cover. I'm mainly intrigued by the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They all sound good. Never heard about The Good Sister, though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the sound of the 'Curse of the Granville Fortune', I loved 'Nancy Drew' too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. One sister dies? Spoiler alert! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's dead from page one. In fact, the book kicks off with a funeral.

      Delete
  26. I spent my holiday vacation this week nose-buried within library books. I'd forgotten what that felt like, getting lost in book after book! I'll have to check in on this Cephalopod Coffeehouse online community. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't read any of them but they sound good. I haven't been able to read much this month, I've been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kelly's book has a great cover, I love Medeia's stuff and Jamie's sounds intriguing. There's three to add to my list. Thanks, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so glad that Amara has inherited the love of reading from all of us. A book can be such a wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hadn't heard of any of these books before. Curse of the Granville Fortune sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete