Monday, October 13, 2014

Q&A with Crystal Collier, Soulless Author

If you've spent any time in the blogosphere, you've likely met today's talented author and blogger. Crystal Collier not only writes awesome books with eye-catching covers, she's a relentless cheerleader for other authors, constantly supporting their new releases.

For that reason, it's even more exciting that we get to support Crystal in her new release. I showed you the breathtaking cover of Soulless a couple of months ago:





She recently set some time aside to answer a few questions for my blog. Not only did she tell us about her writing process, but she also shared the multiple concepts that led to the above cover. Read on for that surprise!


Q: Like me, you spent a while trying to get published before you landed that first deal. How does it feel to finally have your words in the hands of readers?

A: Surreal. Every time someone says they’ve read my work, I do this little happy dance. (With cheese.)

Q: I’m in love with your covers! How involved were you in the cover design process?

A: Super. The cover for Moonless ended up being nothing like what I was thinking, but my super genius graphic artist got it exactly right. After a couple false starts with Soulless, I sent him (very rough) mock-up ideas, and he ran with one of them. Talk about flattery! Here are the mock-up ideas:




Q: Tell us a little about Soulless.

A: The official summary: Alexia manipulated time to save the man of her dreams, and lost her best friend to red-eyed wraiths. Still grieving, she struggles to reconcile her loss with what was gained: her impending marriage. But when her wedding is disrupted by the Soulless—who then steal the only protection her people have—she’s forced to unleash her true power.

And risk losing everything.

Soulless is the dark heart of the Maiden of Time trilogy. This was a hard book to write because I didn’t want to see my beloved characters suffer. (My editor made me.) The decisions Alexia faces will determine her character—whether she’ll lose herself to the darkness of her shifting world, or rise above it.

Q: You describe Moonless as Jane Eyre meets Supernatural. What inspired you to write a series with that combination?

A: It just happened. I had a dream of this teenage girl facing a prejudiced society with impossible decisions to make, all while being haunted by an irresistible man with blue eyes. By the second draft I realized Moonless belonged to a larger story world, one that had been tumbling around my head since I was 13 (with things that go bump in the night). 

Q: How long did it take you to write Soulless? Was it easier or harder than writing the first book in the series?

A: Soulless was written in about a year (including revisions). However, it had been tickling around my brain since 2007. Compare that to Moonless, first draft completed in 2003, entirely rewritten at least 10 times and finally published in 2013. Yeah, I’d say the process was wee bit easier.

Q: Will readers be able to read more of Alexia’s story or is this the final book in the series?

A: The final book in the trilogy, Timeless, is in the works. There will be a spin-off serial series (release date TBD 2015) titled Bellezza, and the Maiden of Time trilogy is a partner series. Alexia’s story may come to a close with Timeless, but she and her friends will be making appearances in future works.

About Crystal Collier


Crystal Collier is a young adult author who pens dark fantasy, historical, and romance hybrids with a thriller pace. She can be found practicing her brother-induced ninja skills while teaching children or madly typing about fantastic and impossible creatures. She has lived from coast to coast and now calls Florida home with her creative husband, three littles, and “friend” (a.k.a. the zombie locked in her closet). Secretly, she dreams of world domination and a bottomless supply of cheese. You can find her on her blog and Facebook, or follow her on Twitter.

If you're ready to buy Soulless or add it to your Goodreads list, check out the links below. You can also learn a little more about Crystal by visiting her website or following her on social media. Enter the Rafflecopter below to win one of six Halloween-themed/time travel-themed reads.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

51 comments:

  1. I loved reading Crystal's interview. Congratulations on the release Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Crystal!
    My first book was over thirty years in the making. So yeah, I agree the second comes a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Crystal!!! Totes awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed this interview with Crystal. And both book covers are gorgeous. :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal is a very talented and creative writer and the cover of her book is awesome.
    A great interview.
    You always support other writers too and that makes you a great connection to know to your fellow writers.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing an awesome interview! I love learning about one's writing and cover process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview and Crystal's covers are so gorgeous. Congrats, Crystal!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a winner book to me. Congratulations to Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great questions and answers. I've often wondered about the decision making behind the choice of book covers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew I had seen this cover somewhere else before and then I realized it was HERE I saw it, LOL!

    I do want to read this one, it sounds great!

    Wonderful interview as well Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview. Those were all wonderful covers. Congratulations on the new release!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are absolutely right, Stephanie. Crystal is a true cheerleader for other authors. I really enjoyed reading this interview and was interested in seeing the other possible mock up covers for Soulless. I've read Moonless and it really does have that Jane Eyre meets paranormal feel to it. This is probably why I loved it so much because Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels. I grabbed my copy of Soulless today! Best of luck Crystal! Can't wait to have you on my blog for our release.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all, Stephanie, thanks so, so much! You are a rockstar!

    @Kelly, Alex, Keith, Madeline, Diane, Julie, T. Powel, kindlemom & Christine, thanks a ton!

    @Julia--you're making me blush.

    @Tracy, it's definitely a very cool and unique process.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to Crystal! I'm looking forward to reading this!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic interview, Crystal. Congrats on all of your success!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crystal seems to be doing everything right. And I'm in love with her book cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow love seeing the progression of that amazing cover! huge congrats to Crystal!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview indeed and yeah it does seem to get easier as one goes along.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the book. When one works hard on something it is so nice to see it welcomes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do like the design of the cover for the book. Sounds like an interesting story line too! Good luck Crystal with it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice seeing the multiple covers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your release, Crystal! Such a beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Talented and beautiful too. Awesome.

    Have a fabulous day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a fantastic cover! Congrats on the new book :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Crystal is SUPER-TALENTED.
    Congrats Crystal!
    Something you may/may not know about Crystal: she's written 9 full-length novels & she's also written a musical...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Meradeth & Jay thanks!

    Vanessa...oh, I guess you didn't see my "fashionable" hair today... (aka bedhead) ;)

    Beth--it's kind of fun seeing from the inside, eh?

    Pat, Birgit, Betty, Quanie & Anne, thanks so much!

    Michelle...yikes! You know all my secrets, don't you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great Q and A!! Love learning from other writers :D And this book looks amazing!!

    Sarah Allen
    (Writing Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats Crystal on your new book. Good interview Stephanie. It can be hard for authors sometimes to let characters get hurt or die. But you have to go where the story takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. HI Crystal and Stephanie! What a great post. It was fun to read the differences in the writing for each book, and how exciting to have great plans for the future! You give us all a boost, and I am so happy for your success :)
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great interview. Thank you!

    Thank you for the comments regarding the media and my boys. They just finished a unit on Current Events.
    My oldest son told me ~ Mom, I am going to look at the brighter side of things!
    I was so proud of him.
    I too do not listen to the news much, maybe 15 minutes in the morning getting ready for the day.
    I use to look up the news on line, but no more...I stopped this past Spring.
    I too am looking at the brighter side of things. :-)
    Thank you again for the comments.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  32. I adore Crystal, I can see my daughter loving her books, this was a great interview... Congratulations to Crystal xox

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks for the nice little interview! And I agree I love the covers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  34. congrats to Crystal on her books

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooh this was awesome and I love seeing the mock up cover ideas!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy book birthday to Crystal Collier's Soulless! I can't believe that I missed this title when I put together today's new releases posts. Thanks SO much for bringing it to my attention, Stephanie! You're a lifesaver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great giveaway! I'm really looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congratulations to Crystal...Love the book-cover..the interview was fabulous... Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Enjoyed this interview Stephanie this sounds so good!!
    Love the covers too:)

    ReplyDelete
  40. So excited for Crystal. I have Moonless on my Kindle. Hoping to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Congratulations to Crystal! Soulless sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love the juxtaposition of the two time elements: one real, one configured to resemble an antique clock face, on the cover. Having input on book covers is so much fun. Watching it come together is amazing. I worked with Michael Di Gesu on mine and when I saw his ideas, I immediately zeroed in on the one that became my cover. I got all goose pimply; it was too perfect!

    Good luck with the Soulless launch!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I think it's cool that Crystal was so involved in creating the cover. The final product was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I know how ideas percolate and years later we have a finished product. Congrats to Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great to hear the history behind Soulless! Grats, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  46. That second and forth mock up I like. Though the final actual cover is, I think, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts
    and I will be waiting for your next post thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete