Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Q&A with Chrys Fey, 30 Seconds

If you're a fan of exciting suspense novels, you're going to love today's guest. Chris Fey, the author of Hurricane Crimes, is celebrating the release of her latest novel. 30 Seconds follows a doctor on the run from the mob. Here's the awesome cover:




Recently, Chrys took time out of her busy promotion schedule to tell us a little about 30 Seconds and her writing process.


Q: 30 Seconds is your second e-book. What did you learn from your first book that will make promoting your second book easier?

A: I know what will work and what won’t work. Promoting on Goodreads really worked with Hurricane Crimes, but submitting to Amazon forums did not because so many other authors are doing the same thing. With Goodreads, I can directly share with people who are interested in me and my writing.

Q: Your hero in 30 Seconds goes undercover in the Mob. Did you do research on the mafia while you were writing the book? I assume that didn’t involve actually going undercover yourself!

A: Luckily, I didn’t have to go undercover in a Mob, but part of me wants to believe I would’ve done a great job! (Or not. Darn!) I actually didn’t have to do much research on the mafia because Blake goes undercover before the story starts, and I didn’t write in the Mob leader’s perspective, although that would’ve been fun. Influences from movies about Mobs and gangs and criminals helped me to write the action scenes involving the Mob as well as nail down the personalities and appearances for those characters.

Q: Tell us a little about 30 Seconds. How is it different from Hurricane Crimes?

A: 30 Seconds is about a woman who finds herself in the middle of a war between a police-force and a dangerous Mob. Throughout the story, Dani falls in love with Blake Herro, the officer who went undercover and is the reason why the Mob is after her in the first place.

Hurricane Crimes is set during a category 5 hurricane and the hero is a murder suspect. The only bad weather that occurs in 30 Seconds is snowfall and a fun snowball fight between my characters. And although there’s a time when Dani doesn’t trust Blake, he turns out to be a true good guy.

Q: You help aspiring writers with writing tips on a variety of subjects. Do you feel like teaching helps you grow as a writer?

A: Definitely! The writing tips I share on my blog are all things I’ve learned, and my readers tend to teach me new things, too. It’s wonderful balance of being a teacher and a student.

Q: What has been the best thing so far about being published?

A:  Getting to know and entertain readers is definitely the best thing. I’ve been writing since I was twelve, so finally seeing my name on a book cover, even an e-book, is also an amazing feeling.

Q: What advice do you have for other writers pursing publication?

A: Take your time! I know it’s tempting to rush so you can bask in the end result, but what you learn as you write, edit, and submit work will be invaluable. And I believe that when it’s meant to happen, it will happen.

About Chrys Fey




Chrys Fey is a lover of rock music just like Dani Hart in 30 Seconds. Whenever she's writing at her desk, headphones are always emitting the sounds of her musical muses -especially that of her favorite band, 30 Seconds to Mars, the inspiration behind the title.

30 Seconds is her second eBook with The Wild Rose Press. Her debut, Hurricane Crimes, is also available on Amazon.

Discover her writing tips on her blog, and connect with her on Facebook. She loves to get to know her readers!

If you're ready to buy 30 Seconds or add it to your Goodreads list, check out the links below. You can also learn a little more about Chrys by visiting her website or following her on Twitter.

37 comments:

  1. Already downloaded my copy of Chrys' book!
    The teacher is often the student and sometimes learns even more. Chrys does offer awesome writing tips on her site. (Just wait until you see what she submitted for the IWSG book!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great interview Stephanie... this is the type of book I like to read... I will take down her name and look her up, she seems very down to earth :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Chrys! So excited for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fun idea for the book and I really like it. It must be interesting to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good interview! And thanks for the tip re how Goodreads worked better for you (rather than the Amazon forums.)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to the author!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to Chrys on her 30 Seconds e-book.
    She seems to have some great tips and is making use of what she has learned about what works and what don't.
    All the best.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! I've been seeing a bit of a buzz about Chrys lately and I hope she does well with her latest book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting Chrys, Stephanie! I discovered her blog a couple of months back and have learned so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Undercover in the mob. Yowsers you are much braver than me. I would never entertain the idea and you think it would be fun. Of course if you have gone undercover could you even tell us? So I believe you did. I won't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great questions and answers, Chrys and Stephanie! I could sense a synergy here and my understanding of the book and it's process of development, has deepened. I'm looking forward to a great read! So excited for Chrys and grateful for the huge contribution she makes to writers and the blogger's community. She and 30 Seconds were visiting on my blog, with a bit of a different perspective, about a week ago: http://stephanierosebirdstudio.blogspot.com/2014/09/guest-post-by-author-chrys-fey.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha glad you didn't have to go undercover in the mob, that might not have ended well. Congrats indeed and always great tips to at your feed

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go Chrys.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for having me on your blog today, Stephanie! I enjoyed your questions and I am so happy to be here. :)

    @Alex, thank you so much for downloading a copy of 30 Seconds! Shucks, now you're making me blush. ;) Thank you for your nice comment.

    @Launna Thank you so much! I'm glad you were able to catch my interview.

    @Melliane I sure hope it would be interesting to read. ;)

    @Madeline I really do find Goodreads extremely helpful.

    @Keith I am happy we found each other through our blogs.

    @TBM Haha! My lips are sealed. ;)

    @Stephanie I'm glad you enjoyed my interview. Thank you for your wonderful support!

    @Pat Probably not. lol

    Kelly, Julia, Cherdo, Lady Lilith, and Sandee: Thank you!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great questions and answers. I'm hoping the book is available as a paper copy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm also hosting Chrys on my blog this week. So proud of her! I've read both of her books and will be looking forward to a third release.
    Chrys, great advice with promoting on Goodreads. This is something I have to definitely do more of.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to Chrys. And every writer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chrys seems to have taken over the blogOsphere. Here's another congrats to her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! It is nice to hear how one has learned about what works and what doesn't and that you share it with others. Sounds like a fun book and glad you didn't go undercover

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love seeing 30 Seconds around the blogosphere, it just sounds like an awesome read! Go, Chrys! :)

    S.K. Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Tracy I'm sorry but 30 Seconds is a novella and is only available in ebook format.

    @Gina My third and fourth releases may be happening sooner than expected. ;)

    @C. Lee I'm lucky that so many signed up for my blog tour. :D

    @Birgit I wouldn't be where I am told if other writers didn't share advice with me.

    @SK At least you're not getting tired of seeing it. ;)

    And thank you to everyone for the congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both of her books sound interesting; will have to add them to be reading list!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great interview Chrys and Stephanie! Sounds like an intriguing premise about going undercover for the mob!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Going undercover would have definitely been the extreme. ;)

    This sounds fantastic! Thanks for putting it on my radar and great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Betty Thank you so much!!!

    @Julie I'm glad you liked premise. :D

    @Kindlemom Thank you for reading my interview!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations Chrys! I read Hurricane and reviewed and now looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great idea for a book, I liked the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Interesting! I wish her the best!

    I had a friend many years ago who wrote romances and vampire genre and crime novels. The romances were written under Wendy Garrett and the others under Wendy Haley. I learned a lot from her and she was a dear friend. She passed away with stomach cancer about eighteen years ago now and I miss her. I always look for her work in used book stores, but its' been so long now, they are impossible to find. Publishing has changed so much since she was writing. I wonder what it will be like for me when I finish my book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great teachers are lifelong learners, learning from their students as well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Have bought an e-copy of 30 Seconds! Chrys gives excellent tips on writing and I wish her tremendous success with every book. (Again, I have to say that book cover is very pretty.)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love seeing my name on the cover and a writer should be patient. Congrats to Chrys.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Romance Readers Thank you for reading and reviewing Hurricane Crimes!

    @Mary I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    @Marie I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

    @Liz Very true.

    @Claudine Thank you so much!! I appreciate your support!

    @Medeia I don't think we ever get over seeing our name on a book cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Take your time. Very good words when it comes to publishing. :)

    ReplyDelete