Monday, September 22, 2014

Guest Blog: T.B. Markinson, Confessions

I'm so excited to help T.B. Markinson celebrate the release of her third book! Confessions from a Coffee Shop is the story of a Harvard basketball star-turned-novelist. Check out the awesome cover:



Today, T.B. is writing about my personal favorite subject: her journey to publication. I think it's something that many of us will be able to relate to.

My Journey to Publication
by T.B. Markinson



For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to be a writer. In fact, that dream was instilled in me when I was in the sixth grade. Why then did it take me thirty-nine years to finally take it seriously? One word: life.  And excuses. 

The years passed. The excuses continued. Then in 2011, something huge happened. My partner was transferred to London, England. At the time, we were living in Boston, Massachusetts. All of a sudden I was unemployed and away from family and friends. 

My excuses were gone. Before we agreed to move, my partner and I discussed the pros and cons of moving to a different country. One issue was what I would do. I wish I could say I was jumping up and down, shouting, “I’ll write.” Nope. It was my partner who knew my ambition and she strongly suggested that I shouldn’t be a fool and take the time to focus on my writing. It’s not every day someone is handed this opportunity. And my partner urged me not to waste the chance. 

Without my partner’s love and support, I may never have had the courage to chase my dream. No one in my personal life discouraged me from writing. No one put pressure on me to put other things ahead of my dream. I did that all on my own and if it wasn’t for my partner, I may still be doing that. 

Since moving to London, I’ve published three novels: A WOMAN LOST, MARIONETTE, and CONFESSIONS FROM A COFFEE SHOP. 

Turns out once the excuses diminished, I’ve been able to focus on what’s important to me. Now I have balance. I still go out with friends and family. I still have fun. I still deal with life. But I also write.  

So if you want to be an author, don’t let anything stop you. All that matters is chasing your dream. Never give up. 

About T.B. Markinson


T. B. Markinson is a 40-year old American writer, living in England, who pledged she would publish before she was 35. Better late than never. When she isn’t writing, she’s traveling around the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in England, or taking the dog for a walk. Not necessarily in that order. T. B. has published A Woman Lost, Marionette, and Confessions from A Coffee Shop.

Sign up to T.B.’s New Release Mailing List here. Your email will never be shared and you will only be contacted when a new book is out.

If you're ready to buy Confessions from a Coffee Shop or add it to your Goodreads list, check out the links below. You can also learn a little more about T.B. by visiting her website or following her on Twitter.

30 comments:

  1. My wife was my biggest encourager and I never would've sought publication for my first book without her prodding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life has that pesky habit of getting in the way of dreams, so I'm excited that Markinson has finally seen hers realized. Way to turn a negative into a positive, and take advantage of a situation! I love all things coffee which means that you had me at the title. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats to T.B. on her new book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing this book around a lot lately. Congrats to T.B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometime all we need is some encouragement to pursue our dream and we're on our way.
    Congratulations to T.B. Markison on publishing her third book and realizing her dream to be a writer.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new book. All we need is a little push sometimes and then away we go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for hosting me today. And I'm glad to hear others had wonderful partners to prod them to go after their dream. It's a scary and exciting process and we need the love and support of those close to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love journey to pub stories. So inspiring! congrats T.B.!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love to read the tales of authors' paths to publication, and T.B.'s words are powerful and inspiring. Congrats to her and blessings on her journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such an inspiring story for daydreamers, like myself. Thanks so much for sharing it!

    (Good call, Stephanie! Great guest blog post.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. T.B.'s story is very inspiring. As authors, I think deep down there is always this passion dwelling inside of us. We just have to have the courage to take chances and pursue those passions in order to make our dreams come true. Best of luck to T.B. and her new book! I've seen it around in the blogosphere and it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the authors novels and on following her dreams, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad she was able to finally pursue her dream to write and then to be so successful with it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the excuses thing. I've heard that so many times. You just have to dive into whatever you want to do.

    Have a fabulous day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was inspiring, I can see your passion for writing...

    We are our own worst enemy sometimes.. the excuse need to stop :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations to TB. Sounds like an awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to TB. How I love that her dreams have come through - albeit with rather a lot of hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the new book. Was moving to London a big culture shock?

    ReplyDelete
  19. No one should ever let anyone dissuade them from realizing their dreams.Congratulations on all your writing accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You go T.B.! It's never too late to go for your dreams. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you were able to make your dream of a writer come true.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How lucky to have a partner who knew what you needed to do and gave you the time to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats to T.B. and that is a great cover. =-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Contrats, T.B.! It's so great to have the encouragement of your loved ones while pursuing this writing thing. Sometimes you just need someone to say, "Yes, you can." Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats, so glad you are pursuing your dreams :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats to her on her new book. Never give up on your dreams for real.
    www.effortlesslady.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been seeing this book around a lot lately. Congratulations to T.B.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm glad a big move was a chance for T.B. to write and publish. I enjoy her books.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks everyone for you kind words and support.

    @Liz A: moving to London was a bit of a culture shock, but the longer I stay here the more I'm noticing differences I didn't see in the beginning. Some good and some bad. However, we love it here and the experience has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is such a gift to have someone in your life who encourages you to follow your dream. We already discourage ourselves enough as it is, keeping our spirits from soaring.

    You are truly loved!

    :)

    ReplyDelete