Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Launch Day: Our Beautiful Child

Today my special guest is Annalisa Crawford.




Her series Our Beautiful Child debuts today! Our Beautiful Child is a set of three novellas set in the same town. Annalisa describes it as, "dark contemporary with shades of paranormal."


Blurb:



“The Boathouse collects misfits. Strange solitary creatures that yearn for contact with the outside world, but not too much. They sit, glass in hand, either staring at the table in front of them, or at some distant point on the horizon.”

… so says the narrator of Our Beautiful Child. And he’s been around long enough to know.

People end up in this town almost by accident. Ella is running away from her nightmares, Sally is running away from the memories of previous boyfriends and Rona is running away from university. Each of them seek sanctuary in the 18th century pub, The Boathouse; but in fact, that’s where their troubles begin.

Ella finds love, a moment too late; Rona discovers a beautiful ability which needs refining before she gets hurt; and Sally meets the captivating Murray, who threatens to ruin everything.



Three women. Three stories. One pub.

Annalisa answered a few questions for us to help us get to know her a little better. I hope you'll enjoy reading more about Annalisa. I know I did!


Q: Tell us a little about the plot of your novellas, Our Beautiful Child.

A: Ella’s Story – Ella has had the same dream, predicting her own death, since she was a child. When other elements of the dream start to become real, she thinks she’s on a downward spiral towards the end.
The Traveller –  Sally meets Murray on a hot, sticky summer evening and is immediately captivated. She tries not to fall in love – nothing good happens when you meet strangers in pubs – but she can’t help it; even though the past is catching up with them both.
Our Beautiful Child – Rona discovers she can communicate with ghosts when a sham psychic arrives at the pub she works in. Once she can hear them, the spirits all want to share their story with her. And a thousand years’ worth of tragedy is too much for anyone to handle.

Q: Did you set out to write these shorter novellas or did the project evolve into this over time?

A: The Traveller came first – in 2000, actually – and was on its own for about nine years. I wrote Ella’s Story next, and although I don’t remember choosing to link them, they seemed like a good fit. At that point, I knew I wanted to create a trilogy, but I didn’t have a third story. In fact, I took another year to even come up with the story of Our Beautiful Child. But once I started, it flowed, and became one of the speediest stories I’ve ever written!

Q: You already have two books, Cat & the Dreamer and That Sadie Thing and Other Stories. What has your experience as a published author been like so far? Did anything surprise you about the publishing process?

A: It’s been a quiet experience, really. You see some authors taking the world by storm with their debut, but I just sidled in, working hard and staring at my rankings. I think the thing that surprised me the most was how much I would take the rankings and reviews to heart.

Q: What is your writing process like? Do you plan your stories out before you write them?

A: I am one of the most chaotic writers I’ve ever met. I am so envious of people who sit down with a plan, write their entire allotment of words for that day, complete first drafts in six months… I do a lot of thinking – I need my muse to be working hard before I even tune into the fact she’s got a new idea.

I write longhand in beautiful notebooks, but once the work is on computer, I randomly add scenes all over the place. I’ll have a great idea for the penultimate chapter and have to go back to add in the clues and foreshadowing. I never write in chapter order, but then I never write a chronological story either, so I suppose that’s not too much of an issue.

Q: Do you have a favorite writing spot?

A: I used to have a small study, but since that became a teenager’s bedroom I’ve just plonked myself in the living room, right in front of the TV. I’ve got a large window to stare out of, I’m close to the kitchen – for a constant stream of cups of tea – and I know exactly which channels to turn to for the best programmes. I don’t watch the TV, but it’s on – Murdoch Mysteries and Castle are favourites to work to, at the moment.

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I’ve got a novella out on submission, but I haven’t started another long piece since finishing that one in February. I was completely drained after that one, it was very emotional. I’ve been revising some short stories that I used to think were brilliant, but now know better. I’ve been entering writing competitions, because I’d forgotten how fun it was!


Thank you so much for having me here today.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR

I live in Cornwall UK, with a good supply of beaches and moorland right on my doorstep to keep me inspired. I live with my husband, two sons, a dog and a cat.

Despite my location, I neither surf nor sail, and have never had any inclination to try. I much prefer walking along a deserted beach and listening to the waves crashing over rocks. For this reason, I really love the beach in the winter!

Links:






43 comments:

  1. Congratulations on release day, Annalisa!
    Never let reviews or rankings bug you. Focus on those who dig your work instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stephanie for hosting Annalisa! She's one of my favorite bloggers. Congrats Annalisa!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats indeed! Nothing wrong with a being a chaotic writer at times, just sit down and let it flow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for interviewing me today, Stephanie. It was fun!

    Alex - I'm slowly learning how not to log on to the rankings :-)
    Keith - aw, thank you. You're pretty fantastic yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Annalisa. I think Cornwall is one of those places perfect for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Annalisa. It sounds like a good read.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I love the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting, Stephanie, and congratulations to Annalisa! I love the description - "dark contemporary with shades of paranormal." And I enjoyed hearing how the process for the novella collection evolved.

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great hostess as usual Stephanie and wonderful to hear about this book. It sounds like a very enticing read and I wonder if the one girl is falling in love with a ghost?:) Very cool and good for Annalisa to finish a book-a true accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was writing for fun and never planned mine out, but then had this idea, and done months of research and planning before I sat down to write. Well, the first half of the draft anyway, and I didn't exactly stick to it either. Now, I'm just going with it. Great interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like such a great book! I've added it to my To Read list. Wonderful interview!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like such a great book! I've added it to my To Read list. Wonderful interview!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun, and I agree with her about the beach. Nothing beats that constant surf.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview! I love Annalisa's writing and am looking forward to reading this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been seeing this book all over the place, so good marketing! Sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Stephanie,

    Fun interview... Always nice to read about our fellow bloggers.

    ALL the best with your new novel, Annalisa!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats, Annalisa! I completely get thinking about a project for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats to the happy bookauthor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sort of write the same way: I'm all over the place. And I have lots of notebooks filled with different ideas. And then I'll lose the notebook and find it months later. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it that you didn't enter publishing with a huge bang, but worked hard and saw your rankings rise slow and steady. I think most of us do it that way, and it's the best way.

    Congrats on this new series! May the Lord bless your life,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's good to know you can be a successful writer and perhaps not follow a formula exactly.

    I'm more of an essay writer and find I have to switch around my paragraphs all the time... maybe chaotic applies to me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your release, Annalisa! Your book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on your release, Annalisa! Your book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats to Annalisa! The book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Annalisa... I hope everything goes well with the books :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats,great interview!!!
    Kisses doll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've seen this book around a lot this morning. Congrats to Annalisa!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on your release Annalisa! Sounds like great stories for a series. Love the cover and the descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on this, Annalisa. Sounds like a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Huge congrats to Annalisa and it was interesting reading about her writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations Annalisa! Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Annalisa is also on my blog today. She's such a great lady.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The stories sound fascinating! Congratulations on release day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really like the idea of three novellas and how each sounds like a fascinating story. I'll be checking out Our Beautiful Child.

    And about reviews and rankings: only take them seriously if they're good, and yours must be!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sounds like an interesting theme with the book; enjoyed reading the interview and how the author weaved the 3 books together for the triology.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  36. I didn't know this one but it's intriguing. Thanks for sharing and the interview. Always so nice to discover some new books.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congrats Annalisa! Sounds like a great read.

    Following your awesome blog via GFC.
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Enjoyed reading the information in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, so many comments, Stephanie - you're very popular :-)

    I'm just going to say a huge thank you to everyone who's commented. The early sparks of this novel happened somewhere in 1998, so it's been a long labour of love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I loved reading about how this trilogy evolved - really interesting!
    Congrats once again!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy release day, and this sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete