Monday, January 20, 2014

Dear Website Owners

Because my job as a freelance writer involves quite a bit of research, I often find myself viewing a wide variety of websites throughout the day. Usually when I'm viewing these sites I'm doing so with headphones on. In recent weeks, I've noticed something that is really becoming quite annoying. What?

Auto-play videos.


These videos are advertisements and they load, sound and all, whenever you visit a site. Sometimes a page has more than one of them. They load, sound and all, and play in the background while you're trying to read. If you're trying to listen to music, stream a TV show, or just enjoy silence while you're reading the article, all hope is gone for that. You're listening to the ad, whether you want to or not.

But it gets worse...

You can pause both videos, if you can find them on the page. Often it's a frantic hunt for the video, which you can hear but can't see. There's bad news, though. If you can find the tiny pause button, you'll only get a minute or so of rest, because guess what?

The page is set to refresh on a constant basis, making the video(s) start up all over again.



I have...no lie...been forced to copy and paste the text of one of these pages into a Word document just to be able to use the article as research. It felt good to close the website and all its annoying videos.

Is there any way to stop this annoying trend? Because it seems to be getting worse, not better!

12 comments:

  1. If you use Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have absolutely said out loud to my computer almost the very same thing - "I will never buy your product, because this add is SO ANNOYING." while I hunt for the little, hidden "close" button :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is annoying. I used to see it more often than I do now, so hopefully blaring music is on its way out.

    My prob is a little different with sites like that though--I will be searching online at night and forget that the sound is on while people are trying to sleep here. Embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed this too lately. I agree, it is annoying. May check into this link that Boris shared. I've been turning down the volume on my laptop and I hook my mp3 player to the speakers on my desk. This helps filter some of it out.

    Have a great, quiet weekend!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I downloaded Boris's recommended add-on, too. Hopefully that'll do it! On the news earlier this week they said Chrome has added a speaker button to each tab that has audio playing. To mute the audio on that tab, you just click on the speaker button and it's muted. If this Firefox thing doesn't do it, I may become a new Chrome user!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been awhile since I've been here and it was so nice to see your name! You have a book coming out?? Wow!!! Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh. I haven't noticed it. Then again, I rarely plug into my computer while working--audio hypersensitivity--but I do remember back in the day when there was a debate about having soundtracks on your website, and how many people got annoyed with auto play. I thought we were past that debate forever ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate those auto play videos! I'm going to have to check out the link Boris left.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had to remove the add-on. I have to have Flash...I couldn't upload files on Elance anymore. Even clicking that button didn't do it. It was a mess. Not good! Every time they say "just disable Flash," I find out within about 30 seconds just how much I rely on Flash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree. I refuse to watch them and avoid sites that have them. I'm very discouraged at the recent trend in having just about EVERYTHING audio-visual instead of in writing. I prefer to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I HATE when that happens. It's the same thing with bloggers autoplaying their music when I go to their blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate the videos that pop up on words with friends after you play a word.

    ReplyDelete