Monday, November 04, 2013

How to Unclog an Unplungable Toilet

Our toilet has been temperamental lately. It's old. But working from home means you need a functioning toilet...and you don't always have a man around to fix it when it breaks.

One such day happened last week. The toilet was clogged. Before you get a yucky image, there was nothing in the bowl but a little toilet paper, so maybe that will help!

I'd like to think I know how to use a plunger. But after about 30 minutes of (off and on) plunging, nothing was happening. It was time for drastic measures.

Time to do a Google search.

There, I found some information I didn't really think would work. This:






Plus this:





Can make that clog go bye-bye. often without the use of a plunger. The water should be hot but not boiling. You pour the dishwashing liquid into the toilet, wait about ten minutes, then pour hot water down the drain.

But before I even poured the hot water, the dishwashing liquid was doing the trick. It was a miracle!

11 comments:

  1. Really?! I had no idea this would work. Our toilet is temperamental, too, so I'll have to try this next time it's clogged!

    Thank you so much for signing up for my cover reveal! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. We finally got a new toilet because ours was so temperamental. I wish I'd known this trick. Might have gotten a few more months out of the old one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Dawn is one of the best inventions ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in total agreement with Lickety Splitter. Dawn is one of the premiere concoctions of the 20th and 21st centuries!

    And I love the idea of using it instead of Liquid Plumber, which scares the living daylights out of me. "Warning: If you splash this in your eyes, learn Braille."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you find this on Pinterest by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good advice! I'll definitely try that next time one of my kids decide to clog the toilet haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, Jamie--I'm not much of a Pinterest-er! There actually were multiple articles about it and I kept thinking, "That's silly. That won't work." And it did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. REALLY. I have to keep this in mind, huh! This will solve a lot of future toilet drama! thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Stephanie! It’s good that you tried that solution you found on the Net. A lot of people have had success with using it before, though it usually doesn’t work with dense objects or huge deposits of gunk and grease – which is why you need to pour hot water on it first. Anyway, it was nice of you to share this information! Thanks!

    Levi Eslinger @ CapitalPlumbing.ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love tips like this. Anything that can help unclog a toilet or sink without me having to stick my hands in there has to be a good thing, and if it’s cheap, even better. Haven’t needed this solution yet but will bear it in mind if the need arises. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete