Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Are Standing Desks Better?

For some reason, in recent years "standing desks" have become all the rage. There are supposed health benefits to standing all day vs. sitting all day and, as a result, desks like this are now in offices and homes everywhere.






I still don't get how standing for 8-10 hours straight is good for the body. As someone who worked in retail in my younger years, I know the pain it causes to the lower back and feet. If it took that kind of toll on me when I was 20, I can only imagine what it would do to me in my 40s and beyond.

So when I read recently that some experts are saying prolonged standing actually brings its own health risks, I wasn't surprised at all. Additionally, experts are saying sitting at a desk all day is not necessarily hazardous to your health.

I say it's about moderation. For most of my working life, I've had a job that is a mixture of sitting and moving around and even today, it's hard for me to sit for hours at a time without at least getting up once every 30 minutes or so. Maybe it's all the water I drink. Standing should be combined with moving around occasionally, even if someone's job has them chained to a desk for hours at a time.

If I could somehow manage to type and walk at the same time, maybe this would be the ideal work setup for me:







Even walking at a pace of around one mile per hour or less, this worker says he lost three pounds, and experienced reduced joint pain. I've always found walking gets my creative juices flowing, and I think it's because walking gets the blood pumping, thereby helping the flow of oxygen to the brain. I'm not sure if medical science backs that up, but it sounds good to me.

Could you work at a standing desk all day?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I could do a standing desk all day. My feet would be killing me not even half way through the day. I do like my coworkers desk. He has an architecture type desk, so he can sit on a high stool or stand up. That would work perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stool would be nice--it would force you to sit up straight. I'm typing while reclined on the sofa--probably not the best work posture. Once I start writing full-time, I'll have to spend more time at this desk right in front of me!

    ReplyDelete